Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PDF editing and font embedding (Page 1 of 1)
  DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Hello,

I have some Word/WordPerfect documents on a Mac IIci running system 7 that I want to archive into PDFs.

I want to preserve the formatting when moving the files cross-platform to my Windows machine and embed the original fonts in the PDFs.

I have Adobe Acrobat 3.0, will I need any other tools?

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:30 am

I use PrinttoPDF to create PDFs. You use it simply by changing your printer in the Chooser to PrinttoPDF.

http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html

It won't allow you to edit PDFs or embed fonts (I'm not sure what that does for you). I think you need Acrobat Distiller for that (often bundled with other Adobe products).

emendelson (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:04 pm

The PrintToPDF extension will not embed fonts. Probably the best thing to do is use the WP option to include all fonts and save to a PostScript file. Then open the PostScript file in OS X Preview and save the resulting PDF.

DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Can MS Word (1995) create Postscript files the same way as WP?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 am

As far as I know Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) has always been able to embed fonts. They would probably need to be post script fonts, which leaves out the stock system fonts. Often with old documents and old software it takes a bit of experimenting to find what can get the job done.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.