Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: installing os 8.6 onto pb3400c (Page 1 of 1)
  poggor (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:01 am

i got hold of a red os 8.6 cd (from an old imac i think) this disc says it is bootable by holding down c, but i have not been able to boot from it on my 3400c.. occasionally gets to the start up screen then ejects disc. in addition i cannot install from the disk in the finder under os 9.1 either - gives me an error like disk utility cannot be opened or something...

any suggestions? just a dud cd?

cheers

george

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:52 am

yeah what you NEED to get is a universal CD--sounds like the 3400c just doesn't like YOUR disk. I have two CDs with 8.5 on them, lemme know if you would like it.

The 3400c will run 7.6.1 (not 7.6--it was a special version specifically designed for the 3400c, but the 7.6.1 update brought it back to a standard 7.6.1 version) all the way up to 9.1--and 9.2.2 using a cool program called OS9Helper.

It should work fine--I think you just have a dud CD, or a bad CDROM drive.

b

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:52 pm

Can you start up from the cd using the start up disk control panel? It can be easier than the c key.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Most of those iMac G3 Mac OS 8 CDs will not work in amy machine other than what they were intended for anyway. Will give you the error like "this version of the Mac OS cannot be used on this machine" - I have several and they all do it.

However, my PowerBook G3 Mac OS 8.6 CD will install (and boot) any machine that I so desire.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.