Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: which powerbook for System 7 ? (Page 1 of 1)
  enryfox (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:58 am

I have been using system 7 with emulation but I was thinking of trying it on the real hardware.
Due to space constrains I have to look for a laptop, but that is good as they are relatively cheap.
Problem is, I cannot find a laptop which has all the following:
1) support 7.5/7.6 up to 8.6
2) has a CD reader (and boot from CD)
3) most important, has USB ports
4) optional, ethernet connection

Honestly I would like a 68k based laptop but I doubt it would satisfy 2,3 & 4; i then have to look for a PPC powerbook. From what I found, Powerbook's in the 1400 series satisfy 1, 2 & 4, while Powerbook G3 satisfies 2, 3 & 4.

Any suggestions/caveat ?

thanks
bye

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 am

As you've found, it's not possible to satisfy all your criteria because USB requires 8.6.

But there is one exception - the original iMac 233. As far as I know the only Mac where USB works with OS 8.1
IMO 8.1 is more like 7.5 than 8.6 so that is worth considering. It meets your other requirements too.

Other than that, I think choice would be a fine thing. Go for whatever you can get a good deal on, and have a play. If you don't like it, you've not lost much.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Are there any PC Cards that have native support in 8.6? I know there are USB2 PC Cards which have native support in OS X, but OS 9 and lower only support USB1.1 at most.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Well, I found some more details at http://lowendmac.com/misc/990927.shtml but not sure if these count for 'native' USB support.

It would seem that the best bet is the 1400 with one of these USB cards in one of the 1400's PCCard slots. At least you'd be able to run 7, 8, and 9 on the same laptop, and have another PCCard slot available, probably for ethernet or airport-like card.

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm

reukiodo wrote:

Well, I found some more details at http://lowendmac.com/misc/990927.shtml but not sure if these count for 'native' USB support.

It would seem that the best bet is the 1400 with one of these USB cards in one of the 1400's PCCard slots. At least you'd be able to run 7, 8, and 9 on the same laptop, and have another PCCard slot available, probably for ethernet or airport-like card.

Nope, no USB on 1400 since it is 16-bit PCMCIA. USB cards require 32-bit.

2400c's can be modded to be 32-bit, and I believe 3400c's are 32-bit.

I say forget USB and go with CF cards with a PCMCIA adapter for mass storage if that's why you need USB.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:00 am

Because of the CardBus aspect, it looks like a 3400 is what you're looking for, with a minimum of 7.6.1. The higher-end models even already include ethernet.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.