Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My LC needs help!!! (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  macman402 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:52 am

I have a Mac LC running OS 7.1, and I think it needs a new clock battery, but I'm not quite sure. It randomly loses settings, the clock doesn't keep time, and I can't shut it off without losing everything. Then I get all Mad AAAGH

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:37 am

macman402 wrote:

I have a Mac LC running OS 7.1, and I think it needs a new clock battery, but I'm not quite sure. It randomly loses settings, the clock doesn't keep time, and I can't shut it off without losing everything. Then I get all Mad AAAGH

Yes... it needs a new battery. You can usually buy them at Radio Shacks, but sometimes they're weird sizes and you'll need to go to a Fry's or Micro Center or some other large computer retailer.

Opening the LC is very easy, there are two tabs in the back simply lift up on them and the case will lift up and forward. To replace the lid, put the front on first and push down towards the back.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:50 pm

I've found odd batteries for computers, pc and macs at electronic supply stores, where they sell bits and pieces, capacitors, switches kinda like radio shack did before they went to consumer goods. They are often many many times cheaper. I've also found it's a good place for ram and hard drives too.

macman402 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:32 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

macman402 wrote:

Yes... it needs a new battery. You can usually buy them at Radio Shacks, but sometimes they're weird sizes and you'll need to go to a Fry's or Micro Center or some other large computer retailer.

Opening the LC is very easy, there are two tabs in the back simply lift up on them and the case will lift up and forward. To replace the lid, put the front on first and push down towards the back.

EEK! We don't have any fry's or microcenter here where i live! could i find one at radioshack? but I know how to open it, I've done that several times before... which means I should be able to bring that battery into radio shack or someplace that would sell them. would I be ok taking the battery out without losing any settings? or are all the settings saved to the hard disk on an LC (unlike my stupid 6500 which loses my settings every time I shut down, ARGH!) Because if I could bring a battery into a store, that would be the ideal thing for me to do, I think. What do you guys think?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:45 pm

You will lose all battery-dependant settings yes. Settings such as mouse speed, time, memory are set in a ROM whose contents are maintained by the battery. If your battery is dying, you'll usually see the time affected.

When its dead, you will not keep any settings. Some macs can draw power from being plugged in, but some can't.

macman402 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:38 pm

Luckily, mine is under the category of "draws AC power" and "draws battery power", and not one or the other. My mom doesn't understand the importance of the battery, it's even more important than the battery in a PC!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.