Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: An important message from Dan (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  cballero (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:32 am

Dan,

Over the years, we have appreciated you more than you will ever know! Very Happy

All of the love you've put into this place is admirable, something Steve and the Mac evangelists over the years built for the rest of us to enjoy and make our own.

Back in the day Macs ruled because of their uniqueness and creativity. Its operating system helped launch so much great software, which amazingly is still found online today here and there, including this great site.

You were one of very few that cared enough to launch this outpost for those who wanted to think a little different: that new didn't necessarily mean better.

I have to agree with you, less and less of us use the Classic Mac OS, but I remember when I set up many families with little resources with excellent educational games on these older macs for parents running off CD-ROMs, and I fired up many graphic design projects using older Adobe software ages past its contemporaries. Many of these CDs were sold at the dolar stores with these older Macs/Windows games, unbelievable! I bought and gave away hundreds of those games when they were available.

I think we all, as die-hards that we are, held out for such a long time simply because it was fun. I still remember using a my first Mac 9600 running system 7 in '97 or '98, it was a real powerhouse back then!

I don't know if you remember when I set-up a call center with your help in 2005 running several 8600c Powerbooks running as clients to Mac OSX servers. E-mail (which was also also web-based), a Filemaker database and word processors were all configured on Mac OS 7.6 on those Macs!

And I'm sure you know this, but in Wikipedia's System 7.6 page, System7today.com is the very first external link listed! That speaks admirably to your devoted efforts to continue making this version of the Mac operating system relevant on a huge number of older Macs.

And don't forget, a lot of folks use older versions of the Mac OS in emulation as well. For me, there are simply too many programs I still like to fire up on occasion that have no present-day equivalent.

We all will miss this as our personal go-to spot online for the real Classic Macs, it's been incredible to see the forums run this long my friend! You and these forums have been a valuable resource to this legacy in Macintosh history.

Long live System7Today forums.. at least in our hearts!

Thanks Dan. Your friend always,
Craig

Ps. Thanks for deciding to keep the site online for posterity!!!

Old Mac Geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:22 pm

It doesn't make sense for anyone to be going online with a System 7 machine anymore and I am sure everyone here has at least one machine that can handle the modern internet. I don't see why you can't just upgrade to the latest version rather than shut down the forums for good. This site is too good a resource for older tech info about these machines to just let it die. System 7 was a great OS in it's day, but there's nothing wrong with admitting that there are things it can't do anymore. To me, anyway, if it comes to the choice of upgrading the software and keeping a good thing going or shutting it down because obsolete browsers can't handle it anymore, then dumping support for obsolete browsers would be the way to go.

Old Mac Geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:27 pm

reukiodo wrote:

Thanks for the site.

Aside from security concerns, I would prefer to leave S7T running as-is. How much maintenance does it take to run this?

Are you planning to migrate the content over to InfoMac or just let it archive itself here?

The problem with leaving it running as-is is most likely one of security. It makes no sense to leave it up as-is if hackers are taking it down on a daily basis. It becomes too much work to keep it online at that point. My opinion is update the software to the latest version and drop support for obsolete browsers. Who uses a System 7 capable machine as their primary computer anymore, anyway? Everyone has a newer PC, Mac, tablet or smart phone capable of handling the modern internet with ease (or should by this time) and it will be a lot more secure.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:51 am

Any chance you'd let someone else take on the task of running the site?

blackangel (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi Dan,

not sure if you are one of the contributors to info-mac, but I'm wondering whether all the software/games can be transferred to info-mac if they aren't already there, especially the ATI-7000 working on under 7.x, as I managed to get it going under 7.5.5, and it still rocks on a so called old 7200/90!

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Dan,

Your great efforts to the system 7 user community will always be remembered and cherished.

Farewell for now from these cozy forums my friends!

Cb

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.