Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 Utilities Disk (Page 1 of 1)
  DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Hello,

I am trying to mend a broken Mac IIci and need a boot disk to jump start it.

I thought there was a "System Utilities" disk although only "Disk Tools" came with machine.

I have searched around for this disk to no avail, does anyone have suggestions?

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:18 pm

I remember using my first Mac IIci. It was old but like magic!

I found one site offering disks. If you find any images online, the trick is having another old mac to transfer the image to a disk, so this site may be able to send you a rescue disk for your Mac baby!

http://rescuemyclassicmac.com/

I'm sure there's other sites, this was the only one I googled that had a quick fix.

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:23 pm

This link has a slew of older OSes, but only a few will work with your Mac so review these downloads carefully:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/operating-systems

Again, once you have the file, getting it onto a disk, if you can still find any, will be the biggest problem.

Having a backup SCSI external drive is almost a must!

External zip (100mb) and the bigger jazz and orbs (1-1.2gb) drives and disks are even better because of the amount of system and software they can hold!

Good luck!

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:35 pm

If you can find an external SCSI floppy drive, another rarity nowadays, if your internal drive were ever to fail, this could allow you another way of booting your mac although if I recall correctly, the IIci has two floppy drives built-in.

Now I wonder what might happen if you take it into an Apple store?

Another possibility is to post on Craigslist to see if anyone has any old Mac floppy disks they could lend, sell or give you? Might be worth a try.

And lastly, an old external CD-drive would allow you to burn some older CD images even on a PC, but getting such a drive would probably be a much harder feat!

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:25 am

If it helps, I spotted an image of a 7.1 cd that works on the IIci here (it's the first link on the top right-hand side):

http://macintoshgarden.org/app.....cd-library

It may be too much work, but if you download and burn this CD on a PC and run it on an emulator like Sheepshaver or maybe Basilisk (setting them up on a new mac or pc takes some work and time), but from it you might be able to create a disk utility for your IICi. If you use a IIci ROM, the installer may yield a compatible floppy, which means that the desktop or laptop would have to be an older model with a floppy. I'm not sure if even pawn shops carry PCs with floppy drives!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.