Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Great website (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  p72mad (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 pm

This is an outstanding resource you've created. I have used Macs since I was four years old, and despite the Dual 1.7GHz G4 running Tiger that's sitting on my desk I miss the days of the vintage Mac OS. Escape Velocity, ClarisWorks, getting frustrated by At Ease on my school's LCII's in 5th grade... good times.

I had an almost mint 9600/300 in the closet that I hadn't booted since at least 2001. I ran across this website and was inspired to have some fun with it.

Current specs:
Mac OS 7.6.1, running like a beast
Sonnet 1GHz G3 upgrade ($87 from eBay)
ATI Radeon 7000 64MB (worked like a charm with your drivers Smile )
PCI slot cooling fan adjacent to Radeon 7000
About 400MB PC100 SDRAM (on 7 DIMM's, haha)
18GB SCSI 7200RPM HD
Internal Yahama SCSI 16x CD-RW w/Toast 3.5
Internal Apple SCSI 12x CD-ROM
Internal Floppy + Zip 100
New PRAM battery

17" DigiTech Beige CRT VGA Display (Used to seem huge!)
New Apple Extended KB + Kensington ADB Optical Mouse

Any suggestions?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:35 pm

Wow that sounds like quite a system you have there.

I wasn't aware Sonnet had a 1ghz G3 ever. Are you sure of that? Also, did you install SpeedDoubler 8? That will make it even faster since it speeds up 68k emulation and a huge chucnk of the OS, especially in the GUI area, is 68k based.

p72mad (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:48 am

You're right - I searched the web for a 1GHz Sonnet PCI card and can't find anything. I did find this 1GHz G3 card:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item.....CIGX10001/

However, mine clearly says Sonnet, has the purple heatsink, and is definitely not the PowerLogix card above. System Profiler reports the card's speed as 500MHz, and I remember reading somewhere that an incorrectly reported clock speed is characteristic of CPU upgrade cards on PCI Macs. But if the 1GHz doesn't exist...?

I guess this guy sold me a 500MHz card. Mad Oh well, it's fast as hell and it's just for kicks.

I would like to get WiFi running here - have you had any success with this on OS 7.6? Then I could really use this bad boy...

p72mad (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:52 am

SpeedDoubler - I would definitely install it except for the fact that I don't have it. :/

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:54 am

welcome!

Unfortunately, this program is protected by its writer or developer and as of now its release on this site is prohibited.

that IS quite a system you have there. I thought my 5500 was fast but your system is killer--although I dont know how you'll ever use 400MB of ram! Wink

You should try putting a 120GB drive in there--it works fine and the extra space was a blessing!

Again, welcome and enjoy.

B

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:51 am

A 120gb SCSI drive might be cost prohibitive.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.