Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Dan's List of the Best (and Worst) Macs (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:07 pm

wall wrote:

wall a.k.a The Defender Of The Holy 7200

I have always been partial to the PowerBook 190 and its big bothers the PowerBook 5300 series. The Color Classic, which makes the list to avoid is a highly prized collectors items.

I would encourage you to continue defending the "Holy 7200". Smile

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:46 pm

Old Mac Geezer wrote:

You excluded the 7220 from the list of Macs to avoid??

It has a much better processor.

Old Mac Geezer wrote:

Oh, I also don't see how the LC580 gets on the all in one list but the 575 doesn't. The monitor used in the 580 is junk compared to the one in the 575.

The LC 580 generally comes better specced in terms of memory and hard drive capacity, but the big secret about the LC 580 is that it can accept a video input card (similar to the Quadra/LC 630) - including the cable TV tuner! The LC 575 lacks this ability (it has neither the necessary slot nor port cut-outs). I have both, and the screens aren't that dissimilar either. At least not drastically so, like the difference between the 5300c and 190cs screens. I haven't turned either of them on in ages, but I don't ever recall noticing the screen on the 580 being bad. The 580 also has an extra memory slot and has a higher capacity.

Essentially, its a MacTV with '040 power and a large memory capacity.

The LC 575 isn't a bad machine, but the LC 580 is just cooler, so if someone was in the market for one of those, I would go for the 580.

I can take pictures of my 580 if nobody believes me. I don't know why the A/V features of the 580 are not documented on the major web sites like EveryMac.

wove wrote:

I have always been partial to the PowerBook 190 and its big bothers the PowerBook 5300 series.

The 190 and 5300 have a notoriously bad power adapter design that was specific to that family. They always fail eventually. If you have one that hasn't failed, well then it wasn't used very much throughout its life. My 190 actually caught fire, and other problems include intermittent or no power, sudden shutting off, etc... not to mention, the 5300 is so slow due to having no L2 cache and the 190 has a terrible screen.

Quote:

The Color Classic, which makes the list to avoid is a highly prized collectors items.

The Color Classic has a lot of design limitations that make it way less desirable than the Color Classic II, which is on the "recommended" list and generally commands a higher price.

Hope that explains a little bit on why I chose what I chose.

madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:13 pm

ok what about the 7600 is it any good?
Given that 8600 and 9600 are hard to find and in a tower case and i like the desktop models the 7600 may be the ticket

Devon (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:29 pm

I have a performa 578 basically a 575 and i will say i prefer the 14 inch trinitron style screen over the lc580s cheaper shadowmask desplay, also the 578 uses scsi drives which are more expesnive then the 580s IDE drives, i also put 36meg ram in my 578 with a 700 meg scsi drive and a full 68040 at 33mhz along with the max 1 meg vram so it runs quite nicely! i would prefer it over the old 5200/75LC i used to own.

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Devon wrote:

I have a performa 578 basically a 575 and i will say i prefer the 14 inch trinitron style screen over the lc580s cheaper shadowmask desplay, also the 578 uses scsi drives which are more expesnive then the 580s IDE drives, i also put 36meg ram in my 578 with a 700 meg scsi drive and a full 68040 at 33mhz along with the max 1 meg vram so it runs quite nicely! i would prefer it over the old 5200/75LC i used to own.

I had an LC 575 for the longest time. It's the only Mac that I ever bought new. I thought it was the cat's meow when I bought it.

A friend of mine bought a Performa 580. He paid about $1000 less for his machine than I paid for mine. His came with a bunch of software that mine didn't come with and an external Glbal Village modem. He also got a 500 megabyte hard drive versus the 160 megabyte hard drive that I got, an extra SIMM slot, and a bunch of expansion slots for things like a TV tuner, etcetera.

His monitor, however, which was like a fishbowl, was just awful. The screen reflected the glare of any light source in the room regardless of orientation. The only way to avoid the glare was to either place your lamp behind the machine or have no light in the room on at all. The image displayed on his screen was nowhere near as crisp as on my LC 575's Trinitron display either.

I trashed my LC 575 last year. My former friend sold his Performa 580 to some unsuspecting computer illiterate while it was still worth some money. I don't know if he ever bought another Mac after he got rid of the old Performa 580. I think he used the money to buy a canoe.

reyne (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:49 pm

Good lists, I would have to agree with the 6200 listing - what a mix of mongrel parts and ideas that was, let alone the construction...

*fingers cut*

9600 looked like a beast in it's day, I could use a couple more PCI slots in my Beige G3 sometimes...

Now, if I could only run system 7 on my Dual 1.42 MDD...

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.