Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Help! (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:57 am

I babied this OS 7.6.1 install, and now its all messed up. Seems to want to hang up a little after the Sonnet CPU icon during start-up and the icon most of the time appears white (black and white) and usually bombs out with a generic error, until I hit restart, which it says is a "bus error"

I'm thinking its something with my Sonnet CPU, but since I can't afford a new one, is there some way I could backup a working system installation in case of an event like this and just restore it when there is a problem (very rare)?

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:32 am

how is it with extensions disabled? does it do the same?

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:25 am

Extensions disabled--all is good.

I think i'll just restart, I have like a hundred extensions.

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 am

Well then it is probably an extension conflict, which is always a fun thing to troubleshoot. Go through a bunch of restarts, each time having a different set of 5 or so control panels or extensions enabled, until you find the one that crashes.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:05 pm

OK.

Its actually in the Memory control panel. Bumping the cache from 256k to 2048k and enabling Vm and bumping that to 184M caused my system to crash, even after a fresh install. And by fresh I meant like 30 minutes old.

I installed a different IDE driver on my hard drive and now it wont boot--it locks up at the happy mac, but the happy mac never shows up. Anyway to force a mac to boot from floppy and prevent the IDE drive from mounting?

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Maybe it has something to do with that gigantic hard drive you have?

Try putting a smaller drive (40gb or less) in and see if that works. If it does, you've found your problem.

BTW, what do you mean by "another IDE driver" ?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.