Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Burned CD readability problem (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  anagama (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:26 pm

I recently picked up this old mac free:
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/4400.shtml

I have a boxed set of the 7.6 install discs with the "Apple Internet Connection Kit" as well. I installed those. I then burned a CD of the updates suggested on this site, but I'm unable to read that CD on the old mac. Ultimately, I want to connect this old beast to my lan, but I'm guessing I need drivers for the ethernet card. Anyway, that issue will come after the CD issue.

I have at my disposal a g4 powerbook running Tiger, and some Linux boxes as well. I can burn cds on all these -- I'm wondering however if there is something special I must do to make the old beast read cdrs.

Thank you for any assitance you may be able to provide.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:31 pm

How exactly did you go about copying the CDs.

Mac OS 7 can only read HFS Standard discs. Mac OS X defaults burning to Mac OS Extended. To make an exact replica of your CD, put it into your computer, open Disk Utility, select the Mac OS 7 CD that is in your computer, and choose File -> New -> Disk Image from (the name of your CD). Then, after it completes the copy, eject your Mac OS 7 CD, then insert a blank DVD, drag the disk image you created into Disk Utility, select it, and click burn.

anagama (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I don't want to make a replica of the system install discs. I already have those.

What I want to do is make a cd with all these applications:
http://main.system7today.com/updates.html

and a few of these:
http://main.system7today.com/softwareguide.html

I presume my Tiger powerbook burns an "iso 9660" cd. At least I don't see any options for alternative formats in the finder window for the cdr and I can trade cds between my macs and linux boxes without issue -- of course OSX and Linux are a lot more similar than OSX and OS7.

Anyway, I tried using disk utility to make a .dmg of the files I've downloaded. Then burned that to a cdr using the disk utility. It is still unreadable.

I don't want to burn too many coasters -- I've left behind cds in favor of USB drives -- I only have 8 cds left now.

So what I'm hearing is that the CD has to be burned in HFS format as opposed to standard cd-rom format and I need to find a tool that will do that. Is that correct?

anagama (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:39 pm

OK -- I solved this. Rather than using my powerbook, I used a linux machine to burn a disc of these files. That produced a readable disc. As I think about it, I've had problems burning linux install discs with my mac before. I've only been able to do that from the OSX cli -- the gui apps just make coasters for that purpose at least. So it must be something buggy about apple's CD burning system for certain types of discs. I've never had problems with simple data disks before though -- must have something to do with the old hardware on this old mac.

And woohoo -- I still have 7 blank discs. Wink

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 pm

There is a pretty easy OS X solution for this as well. In disk copy, create a new blank disc image that is about the size of a CD. Then, using disc utility, format it as a HFS Standard disk after you create it - formatting a disk image is the same process as formatting a normal disk.

Then put your apps on it and burn it.

thakk (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 am

I have a System 7.6 CD (CD-R) that says it is a "Mac OS standard" disc. My 5500 will not boot from it. The 5500 says that this disc can't be used on this Mac (or something similar).

Any ideas?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.