Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Burned CD readability problem (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  thakk (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm

The Mac I'm having problems with is a Power Macintosh 5500/225. Is it possible that I need 7.6.1 to boot on that machine which is why 7.6 doesn't work?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Yes.

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm

thakk wrote:

Any ideas?
That system can run either 7.5.5 or 7.6.1... but not 7.6.

For anyone wondering about bootable CDs...
  1. You need a version of the System that works on your system... most generic versions will give you the ability to create a Universal install that will work on most Macs.
  2. Second you need to put that system folder on an HFS (Mac OS Standard) formated CD.
  3. Last... and most important, the System Folder must be blessed. Copying a System Folder to a CD doesn't always preserve the System Folder's blessing. Older versions of Toast would bless a System Folder on a volume that is going to be made into a bootable CD.
If you need to know what system your Mac can run, you can look it up here or here (though this doc contains some errors).

thakk (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:21 am

You used to be able to bless a System file by removing it from the System Folder and then putting it back. Is that still the method or is there some other mechanism?

Thanks!

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:18 pm

thakk wrote:

You used to be able to bless a System file by removing it from the System Folder and then putting it back. Is that still the method or is there some other mechanism?

It generally works in the 7/8/9 Finder, but Mac OS X's Finder doesn't (because the blessing is a resource and those aren't as important in Mac OS X).

The main problem is keeping the blessing while burning. That is why Toast had an option for making bootable CDs... it would specially maintain the blessing.

I build all my bootable CDs on my Quadra 950 using Toast 3.5.6. I've had CDs made in Mac OS X be bootable, but only on later systems (G3's and newer). Which makes me believe that it may have something to do with the firmware on later models.

Mashroob (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:00 am

I know this comes a little late, but try this:
Use your OS 9 capable machine (e.g. a g3 or g4). Start your computer up in either OS 9 or 10.2.8 or earlier. Roxio Toast Titanium 5.x (or Adaptec Toast 4.2 which is only System 7, 8, and 9 compatible.) has the ability to burn discs in the HFS standard format much more easily and gives you more options. Try that if all else fails.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.