Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Word 5.1, 5.1a updater? (Page 1 of 1)
  Twylo (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm

So, I've found a full boxed copy of Microsoft Word 5.0. Fantastic! Only, I'd like to update it to Word 5.1a.

I know that 5.1 and 5.1a were distributed as free updates for 5.0. But I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have a lead on them? I don't need the full distribution, just the updater(s) from 5.0 to 5.1a.

Many thanks!

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:24 am

As I recall, Word 5.0 and 5.1 were quite different from each other (5.1 had a more advanced interface, where as 5.0 didn't look that much different from 4.0).

Also, I sure don't recall the 5.1 being a free update. There was no web to speak of at the time and 5.0 and 5.1 were distributed via floppy disks. Infact my 5.1 floppies are from 1992. If there was an upgrade, you paid Microsoft for it to get the media.

Lil (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:40 am

Word 5.1 was not a free upgrade to 5.0 sadly.

I may have a spare copy of 5.1 here. (I have 5.0 and 5.1 on disk) If I do, I'll post it on here for sale.

Word 5.1 had some useful changes including annotation enhancements, better spell checker, toolbar along the top of the screen, Microsoft Chart for embedding charts, enhanced envelope printing (nice and easy!) and a few other bits. Most useless of all: embedding Quicktime movies. Not particularly useful!

The 5.1A (note not 'a') update on the Hyperarchive is very useful on Macs with 7.5.3 or later. It disables the memory check that on some Macs (like my 1400cs on OS 8.6) makes Word believe it's out of memory.

If you got the user manuals, keep hold of them--they are excellent reading and can teach you so much about Word that you never knew.

If you like Word 5 btw, you'll also love Excel 4 if you use spreadsheets.

Vicky

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.