Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Establishing Network with Mac OSX (Page 1 of 1)
  starmax (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:42 pm

I am trying to set up a network between an eMac G4 running OS 10.3.9 and a StarMax 3000/240 running OS 7.6.1 via an ethernet cable. I downloaded and installed all of your suggested updates (except SpeedDoubler), installed an Asante "NIC" PCI card (ASA99-00492) and driver (AsanteNicPCI_4.5.hqx) for OS 7.5.2 and above and connected the computers.

I set both the AppleTalk(60.1.2) and TCP/IP(1.1.2) control panels to connect via ethernet and turned on File Sharing on both machines. When I tell the eMac to connect to the StarMax, it says "Connection failed. No response from the server." after trying to connect for 75 seconds. When I tell the StarMax to connect with the eMac using AppleShare in the Chooser, it allows me to select the proper file server and asks for my password but when I hit connect it says "The connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken."

There is definitely a connection between the two computers as indicated by the Asante monitor showing Transmit / Receive Status. One thing I did notice is that the Extensions Manager says that AppleShare Client 3.8.3 "requires System 8.1 or later." Could this have anything to do with the problem and what should I do about it?

I have successfully connected the eMac to another Mac clone running OS 8.6, so I am sure that my eMac settings are correct. I have upgraded the StarMax only by increasing the RAM to 96mb and installing the PCI card. It is running perfectly on OS 7.6.1. I would appreciate any assistance that this forum can provide.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 pm

starmax wrote:

One thing I did notice is that the Extensions Manager says that AppleShare Client 3.8.3 "requires System 8.1 or later." Could this have anything to do with the problem and what should I do about it?

No. It is a typo.

Instead of selecting the server in the chooser, when you click on AppleTalk, click on the "Server IP Address..." button and manually type in the IP address of the eMac.

http://main.system7today.com/a.....aring.html

starmax (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:32 pm

I had previously followed the link that you suggested. In fact that is probably why I got as far as I did, having never attempted this exercise before.

Unfortunately, typing in the server address does not help, I get the same response. I am beginning to think that the PCI ethernet card is the problem but I have no way of testing it (the green light tells me that the power is on). I bought it "new" two weeks ago from Small Dog Electronics. It is an Asante "NIC" PCI card (ASA99-00492) and if anyone has successfully used one of these under OS 7.6.1 I would like to hear from them.

If there is anything else that I might try, please reply.

Thanks.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.