Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerBook 1400 HEAT (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:04 pm

After browsing this web site for a few months, I finally took the plunge and installed 7.6.1 on a spare partition in my PowerBook 1400c with a 233 MHz Vimage G3 processor. I was blown away by the speed-- it suddenly was easily the most responsive machine in the house. But I noticed that the machine felt much warmer than it did running OS 9.1. I fired up Gauge Pro, and sure enough it reported a temp of 70C. Under 9.1 it typically ranges from 52 - 60C.

I shut down for awhile and pointed a fan at it until it had thoroughly cooled down, then restarted. Almost immediately the temp shot back up to 70C, and all I had running was Gauge Pro. Next I tried replacing the Vimage VPower cache control extension with the XLR8 MACh Speed Control 1.4.3 (which allows you to control the speed of the backside cache), but no setting would reduce the temp. Then I tried disabling the backside cache altogether, but still no temp reduction. (By the way, I also had processor cycling enabled in the PowerBook control panel through all this).

I switched back to OS 9.1 and immediately the temp began to fall back to the typical range that I'm used to seeing. So, my question is, do other people with G3 upgrades (especially PB 1400 users) notice excessive heat under 7.6.1, and does anyone know why there would be such a dramatic difference? Is there advanced power management features in OS 8.6 and later? The heat is significant enough to discourage me from keeping 7.6.1 installed.

--V.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:13 pm

Hmm very interesting. I actually have never used (or even seen) a Vimage G3 upgrade before.

My Sonnet upgrades never get hot. I have a three Sonnet G3 and one Sonnet G4 upgrade, and they all run the same under 7 as they do under 8 and 9.

70 is pretty outrageous. I'll have to look into that. Are the Vimage or XLR8 drivers that you are using the same versions you use with OS 8 and 9?

If you have extra money, you could probably sell your Vimage G3 on eBay, and pick up a used Sonnet one, they came in several speeds.

There are also NewerTech upgrades out there.

Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:19 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

...Are the Vimage or XLR8 drivers that you are using the same versions you use with OS 8 and 9?

If you have extra money, you could probably sell your Vimage G3 on eBay, and pick up a used Sonnet one, they came in several speeds.

There are also NewerTech upgrades out there.

Yep, the extension versions are all the same. Funny enough, I used to have a Sonnet 400 MHz for one of my 1400s, but I had nothing but trouble with it. I sold it on eBay so I could buy another Vimage card, and both of my Vimage cards have been rock solid under OS 8.6 and up. That's why this issue was unexpected.

By the way, I also tried installing OS 8.1, and it's just as bad as 7.6.1 as far as the heat issue goes. Things only get better at 8.6.

--V.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm

I have three 1400's one with a sonnet 333 upgrade. It runs a bit cooler than the 133 and 166. I know power management has a lot to do with heat. I had a bad battery that made things hot enough to freeze the system. How hot does it get with the battery in and how it is out.

Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:48 pm

sierraredd wrote:

How hot does it get with the battery in and how it is out.

The temp rockets straight to 70C whether the battery is in, out, or if I'm running from the battery. Interesting that your Sonnet 333 runs cooler than the 166 PPC-- I'd never thought to compare my 1400/166 machine to my two Vimage G3 machines. Sure enough, it feels hotter. Of course, there's no software to actually measure the temp of the PPC 603ev, but the difference is noticeable to the palm of my hand.

I've done a bit of reading about Vimage processors, and they seem notorious for running hotter than other brands (some PCI upgrades for desktop machines reportedly have a "normal" operating temp of 85C!), but that still doesn't explain why mine run hot under 7.6.1, but cool (cooler than the original 166, apparently) on 8.6 or 9.1.

--V.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 am

Does the heat cause performance problems? I know powebooks run hotter in general and are not concidered laptops. Just a portable computer. Have you looked into the external cooling tray things?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.