Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerBook 1400 HEAT (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:06 am

sierraredd wrote:

Does the heat cause performance problems?

I don't think it's getting hot enough to cause problems. In fact, the XLR8 control panel reports the temp as "normal" even when it has risen to 73C. But heat is the enemy of electronic components, and this machine is already approaching 10 years old, so I don't want to torture it if I don't have to. I'm sure a laptop cooling pad would help quite a bit (I know pointing a desk fan at it does), but I don't see the point when running OS 9.1 solves the problem. This machine is actually pretty nimble with 9.1, and I have another 1400cs/166 than I can use to play around with 7.6.1.

--V

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:55 pm

I dont know how one could stand the 117Mhz cpu. even 7.6.1 on that thing was anemic. I guess I'm used to the Sonnet upgrades though.

Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Nearly two years later, and I finally solved this heat problem (though entirely by accident). I got an error one day that the desktop printer had encountered an error and had shut down. I don't print from my 1400 anyway, so I decided to disable all of the desktop printing extensions altogether. Soon after, the machine seemed noticeably cooler. A look at Gauge Pro confirmed this: the machine was now running as cool as it does under OS 9. For testing purposes I re-enabled the extensions one more time, and the temp immediately rocketed straight up to 70 C again and stayed there. Disable them, reboot, and the temp stays between 50 and 60 C.

I never would have guessed to blame printing extensions, so it's pure luck that drew me to the solution. Now I can use 7.6.1 without feeling like I'm compromising a thing!

By the way (and this is really a topic for a new thread), I tried a little "hack" I read about elsewhere that lets me run a few apps that claim to require OS 8. If you run Appearance Manager, and use ResEdit to change the vers resource in System from 7.6.1 to 8.1.0, you can run IE 5.1.7, RealPlayer 8, and SoundJam 2.5.3 (and probably more, but those are the 3 I wanted). It seems to work fine. Now I can listen to BBC streams on my 1400 (and wirelessly, no less!). Slick.

--V.

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 am

I think it depends on the programs you're running. My Sonnet G3 upgrade runs at 66 degrees under 7.6.1 and 54 degrees under 8.6 with the same programs running. Disabling the desktop printing extensions under 7.6.1 lowers the temp to 62 degrees initially, but then it rockets back up to 66 once I start running my normal suite of programs. I'm guessing it's some essential routine in the 7.6.1 kernel that's still 68k code, and spins the processor furiously while it's emulating it. For you, maybe the desktop printing extension was the only thing using it.

All I know is my laptop with a 3 GHz Pentium 4 Prescott would start throwing a huge crashy kernel-panciky overheat fit when its temperature climbed over 65 degrees, but this little 0.46 GHz G3 doesn't even seem to care. Meanwhile, Xbox 360s run hot enough to warp their motherboards. PPCs must just run way hotter. Didn't Steve Jobs say Apple was switching from PPC to Intel because of power consumption and heat concerns?

But then again, the bottom of this 1400 is only pleasantly warm... though the heat sink beneath the keyboard is pretty hot. Maybe Gauge Pro is reporting temperatures too high?

Vesuvio (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 am

DaveRhodes wrote:

Maybe Gauge Pro is reporting temperatures too high?

I think this is likely, as the temp monitor in the XLR8 MACh Speed Control Panel always reports a reading 2 or 3 degrees cooler than what Gauge Pro reports. You are also right that the suite of apps you regularly run can push the temp one way or another. My temp now averages 64˚C under my full load, and maybe climbs to 66˚C after several hours of pushing the 1400 hard (if I'm playing with something like sonicWORX PowerBundle, or ProTools 3.8.4). However, ever since I disabled desktop printing, it always drops into the 40s at idle, and overnight it drops into the 30s (and I do have processor cycling enabled). That NEVER happened with desktop printing on: it stayed pegged at 70˚C no matter what.

--V

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.