Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: SpeedDoubler 8 from s7t doesn't work (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Hi,
I've downloaded the SpeedDoubler 8 installer from system 7 today (http://download.system7today.com/speeddoubler8.sit.hqx) on my PC and burned it on a cd. I've transferred the file to my mac and double cliked it - which extreacted a file called SpeedDoubler.sit from it. Unfortunatly, that file had no resource fork, which I created using ResEdit (type SIT! creator SITD). Afterwards, while trying to open that file using stuffit expender, it said the archive was curropted and could not be opened. The procdure on the speed doubler 8.1.2 updater worked fine and extracted the directory with the executables.
How can I get the sd8 installer to work as well?

Thanks,
Ido.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:56 am

You have to download it on a Mac. It doesn't have a resource fork because Stuffit is supposed to recognize that it is an application, not a file or directory. I have no idea how to do this from a PC. This was a popular way of distributing programs on a Mac. AOL Instant Messenger is another program packaged in this way, and I would expect you would have similar problems.

The SD 8 updater is not packaged in this manner.

ido (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:17 pm

I can't download it on a mac, my mac has no (working) ethernet card and I don't know anyone with a mac that has a cd burner.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:45 pm

You'd probably have better success putting it onto a Floppy disk than burning it to a CD.

Also, what version of Stuffit are you using? I'm actually a bit surprised that Stuffit didn't recognize this automatically, but the only reason for this has to be that you downloaded it on a PC, or are using a super old version of Stuffit.

If you're still having problems later today, I'll convert it to a Disk Copy 6 disk image, which should transfer fine.

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:46 am

dpaanlka wrote:

If you're still having problems later today, I'll convert it to a Disk Copy 6 disk image, which should transfer fine.

Actually, that would most likely work worse than the current StuffIt solution you are using... the old img files kept information about the image (like checksum) in the resource fork... that would get stripped by the internet (the newer dmg files don't have this short coming).

I would suggest creating smi images (self mounting images) which don't require Disk Copy to mount them. All my software for older Macs is stored on CDs this way.

In Mac OS X you can make smi images using DropDMG.

The solution here is for the original poster to forget double-click... it just isn't going to work.

You should either drag the file onto the StuffIt Expander icon or start StuffIt Expander and open the file via the open dialog box.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:16 am

Hmm well I'm pretty unfamiliar with getting files to and from a PC. All I know is everything on this site works for me as I've test downloaded everything personally before making a page about it.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.