Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: What can't OS 7.6 do? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Deni (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm thinking about getting a powerbook 1400 and debating whether or not to put OS 7.6 or OS 8 on it. I would like to use 7.6 on it for the extra speed, but I heard there are certain things it can't do such as run carbon apps, or use USB, things that OS 8 can do. So I just want to get a clear picture of the restrictions of OS 7.6, so that I can decide whether I can live with them or not.

Deer Steak (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:56 pm

Depending on your IM network of choice, even OS 9.2.1 isn't enough; MSN requires 9.2.2.

You'll have problems with alot of Carbon apps with less than OS 9, because alot of Carbon apps have an artificial OS 9 requirement. Alot of times, the app would run in older OS's.

Just be sure to run software of the time, and use hardware of the time (no USB cards, no Firewire cards, etc.) and there won't BE any limitations. Very Happy

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Correct, there is no USB or FireWire with 7.6... but that doesn't matter because the 1400 doesn't support USB or FireWire cards. Remember, before USB and FireWire came along, there was over 10 years worth of ADB and SCSI devices for you to consider.

I highly doubt you're going to find much use out of a Carbon app on a 1400 either, but that's for you to decide.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Deni wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a powerbook 1400 and debating whether or not to put OS 7.6 or OS 8 on it. I would like to use 7.6 on it for the extra speed, but I heard there are certain things it can't do such as run carbon apps, or use USB, things that OS 8 can do. So I just want to get a clear picture of the restrictions of OS 7.6, so that I can decide whether I can live with them or not.

What specifically do you want to do with it? I use my 1400 daily. Word processing, photoshop, some illustrator. Everything I do on my mini I can do on my 1400 just with older versions of software and hardware. Truth be told it's all about what you want to do with it.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:12 pm

Oh as for which os to run? 7.6.1 with dans updates work great. I use both 8.6 and 7.6 on the 1400's. It all depends on what you wanted to do. As with any computer faster processors and more memory help alot. just avoid the 117mhz 1400's they are slow no mater what is done with it.

cballero (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi Demi,

If you have both systems available to install, you can do what I did with my Powerbook. I installed 7.6 and afterwards I did a clean installation of 8.1. I use Apple's System Picker to select which OS I want to restart with.

This way you can actually use both of them on the same Powerbook. It's very simple to switch and you can run more programs. There are a few programs that only run on 7.6 too. On my applications folder, I add to any application (7.6) or (8.1) at the end of the application name so I know only to run them when I'm on that OS.

Your programs may need to be configured under the second system you install, but it solves the issue of which OS you want to use, just use both. I have 7.6 and 8.1 on one partition and two more on the second, 8.6 and 9.1 for at total of four. Hope this helps!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.