Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7.5.3 Network and file sharing questions (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi! My name is Jim. A few years ago my wife salvaged four Power Macs that other teachers were getting rid of, and installed some educational games on them, for her Kindergarten students to use.

Now she wants them to be able to go on the Internet, and to print from them to the printer that's connected to her XP computer. I'm a complete dummy on Mac computers. I've been going in circles trying to learn how to set them up to connect to the school network, and to use a shared printer. I don't even know how to see if they *are* connected to the network. They all have ethernet cables going to jacks in the wall, and I can connect to the Internet with one of them. Two others have Netscape, but I can't connect to the Internet on them. I don't know what happened to Netscape on the other one. I can't even try to connect to the Internet on that one.

Some or all of them have System 7.5.3. One of them might have an earlier version. I'll check again.

Besides setting them up to connect to the Internet, and use a shared printer, I'd like to have a 7.5.3 install disk to repair some parts of the systems that might be broken. The students have done some strange things. I bought a 7.5.3 CD on ebay, but I get an error message when I try to use it. Now I've downloaded a set of 19 files from the Apple Web site that I'm going to try.

Also, I'm looking for a way to make my XP desktop work like 7.5.3, so I can practice using the system at home. I've tried WinMac, but there's a lot missing, and I'm not sure how much good it will be for my purpose. I've looked at emulators, but from what I've read, there's no way to emulate a Mac legally, without owning one.

I'd like to replace Netscape on the computer that's missing it, but I can't find any Netscape download for 7.5.3. In fact, so far the only browser I can find that has a version for 7.5.3, available for download, is Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Jim

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:16 pm

jimhabegger wrote:

I've tried WinMac, but there's a lot missing, and I'm not sure how much good it will be for my purpose.

That will teach you absolutely nothing. Mac OS is not Windows with an interface shift, it is an entirely different system. They are 100% not related to each other.

Eventually I'll be creating a "Classic Mac OS for Dummies" section of this site... whenever I get around to it.

Deer Steak (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Depending on what those PowerMacs are, I'd look at dumping a ROM from one of them so you *can* emulate them legally. SheepShaver, while terribly user-hostile, is at least usable, and can run 7.5.3.

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm

Deer Steak wrote:

Depending on what those PowerMacs are, I'd look at dumping a ROM from one of them so you *can* emulate them legally. SheepShaver, while terribly user-hostile, is at least usable, and can run 7.5.3.

I've been looking at Basilisk, SheepShaver, PearPC, and QEMU. I might start with Basilisk because I found a walkthrough for it that looks easier than any of the others I've found so far.

I only have two hours every Friday to work on the computers in Patty's Kindergarten class. Today I found the MacTCP control on the 7.5.3 computers, and the TCP/IP control on the 7.5.1 computer. The one that already worked on the Internet has a fixed IP address, but the HP is set up for dynamic addressing, so I tried that on two of the Macs. I *think* it worked, because when I started Netscape it looked like they connected. I'm not sure, because they both froze before any Web page actually displayed.

"Sorry, a system error occured. 'Netscape Navigator 3.01' error type 11" The only option offered was a "Restart" button. After that, the TPC/IP control didn't work. I restarted the computer again, and then the TCP/IP control was working again.

I tried to experiment with file sharing, but I ran out of time before I could see any results.

I'm really groping in the dark on these computers. It doesn't help that the students sometimes move and rename system files. For example on one of them the TCP/IP control program had been moved out of the control menu and completely out of the system folder. I stumbled across it while I was looking for something else on the hard drive. Luckily, it hadn't been renamed.

The next time, I'll continue trying to set up file sharing. If I succeed with that, I'll try printer sharing. To replace Netscape on the computer that doesn't have it, is it enough to just copy all the Netscape files from one that does? If not, I'll try installing Internet Explorer 4 or 5.

After that, I'll try installing 7.5.3 on the computer that has 7.5.1.

Jim

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi, Jim...if you need Netsace the latest version that'll run on 7.5.3 is Netscape 4.05. You can download it here from this page (be sure to choose the PowerPC version):

http://sillydog.org/narchive/full4.php

The latest Internet Explorer is 4.0.1. You can download it here:

http://browsers.evolt.org/down.....ll-ppc.hqx

Be sure to check out the Browser Central section this site. You can turn off style sheets for these browsers with the same instructions given for Netscape 4.8 and IE 5. I would turn off Java on Netscape, as well.

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:33 pm

If you run IE 4.0.1 you will also want to turn off scripting error alerts. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences. In the right pane of the Internet Explorer Preferences window, under Web Browser, select Web Content. To the right, under Active Content, in the "Active scripting error alerts:" dropdown menu, select "Don't Show".

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.