Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7.5.3 Network and file sharing questions (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:47 pm

To find Netscape 4.05 for PowerPC, you can try a Google search for the following file:

Nav4.05_PPC.bin

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Thank you for that list, Ursa.

I'm going in circles trying to get Acrobat Reader and ROM-grabber to work in my emulator. I need Stuffit for 7.5 to install them, and apparently I need Stuffit to install Stuffit. I finally found an old Stuffit installer with an hqx extension, but I haven't been able to open it up in the emulator.

Apart from that, I've been having some success running downloaded Mac applications in the emulator.

I'll be working on Patty's computers tomorrow and Friday. The first thing I want to do is get Netscape working on all of them. Two of them crash with error type 11 when I try to run Netscape. I'm going to try turning off the extensions. If that doesn't work, I'm going to go through a crash/freeze repair checklist I found on the Internet. If that doesn't work I might try installing Opera or Internet Explorer.

Next, I want to try to get file sharing working. After that I might try updating the 7.5.1 computer to 7.5.3, and then to 7.5.5.

Meanwhile, I bought a 7.6 install disk and an 8.1 install disk on ebay. I'm planning to experiment with them on my emulator before I try updating Patty's computers to 7.6.

Right now I'm emulating with Basilisk with a 68K ROM. I'd rather emulate with SheepShaver and a PowerPC rom, if I can ever find a way to get one. So far every trail has led to a dead end. Tomorrow or Friday I'll see if I can get ROM-grabber working on one of Patty's computers. I'd rather emulate with a PowerPC ROM because that's what's on Patty's computers.

More later.

Jim

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:18 am

Hi, Jim:

Now that you have a 7.6 install CD-ROM, rather than wasting your valuable time trying to debug your trashed 7.5.x systems, you might as well back up anything worth saving on Patty's computers, boot them off the 7.6 CD-ROM, reinitialize the hard drives with Drive Setup (a low-level format might be a good idea while you're at it), and do a clean install of 7.6 plus the 7.6.1 Updater and the updates recommended here on System 7 Today. You'll be glad you did.

There's a handy guide to System 7.6 installation here: http://main.system7today.com/a.....ngos7.html The advice on package installation directly applies for a System 8/8.1 installation, as well.

I'm not sure I would even bother running 7.6.x with Basilisk II. You're limited to running 68k programs, so that means making do with older versions of QuickTime, Netscape, and Internet Explorer versus the more modern PowerPC editions that you'll be able to run on your PowerPC Macs.

My install list applies to PowerPC Macs running 7.5.5 only. Do not install the PowerPC Interrupt Extension under anything but System 7.5.5. Also note that under Basilisk (or any 68k Mac) you cannot install LibMoto, the PPC Interrupt Extension, Speed Doubler, Quicktime 5.0.5, and MacOS Runtime for Java 1.5.1

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:00 pm

I'll try a clean install of 7.6 on one of them, and see how it works before I install it on the others.

I want to have 7.6 on one of my Basilisk volumes so I can practice and experiment with the system at home. I only have about an hour and a half every week to work on the computers at the school.

I had some extra time on them yesterday and this morning, and spent most of it trying to find a way to get a browser onto the one that doesn't have one. It wasn't until after I came home today that I finally found a browser for it in a usable format, at evolt.org.

Two of the other ones kept crashing every time I started Netscape, and turning off the extensions didn't do any good. Finally, I tried stopping them before they finished loading the home page, and turned off Java and Java Script, and that worked. Now all but one of them are on line. They still crash now and then on some Web sites.

I'm still not getting anywhere with file and printer sharing. Patty has an XP computer and an iMac, and I can see each one's shared files on the other one, but I can't their shared files on the Power Macs, and I can't see the Power Mac shared files on either of them. I don't know what to try next.

Next time I'll try installing a browser on the one that doesn't have one, and I'll see if I can get printer sharing to work between the XP computer and the iMac. The printer is connected to the XP computer. That's the one Patty uses for her work now. This year the school switched from iMacs to XP computers for the teachers to use. The iMacs are for the students now.

Jim

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.