Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7.5.3 Network and file sharing questions (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Yeah and try to find 7.6.1... I'm not sure if the Browser Central browsers work under 7.5.x.

But aside from that, 7.6.1 is more stable and reliable, and a tad more modern.

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Ursa and dpaanlka, thank you. That helps a lot!

I tried Basilisk II/JIT today, and it worked! I had 7.5.3 running in XP in less than two hours. What a beautiful sight! That's the first time I've gotten any new system running in less than two weeks!

Now I can practice and experiment on my virtual Mac at home, before I try something on the computers in Patty's Kindergarten class. For example, now I've seen how to install 7.5.3 from the 19-part download.

Jim

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 pm

The Navigator link at sillydog didn't work, but I found 4.03 at Browser Central. Thanks!

Now I'm wondering about upgrading the system to 7.6.1. I can try it on my virtual Mac first!

The students have renamed the hard drive on three of the computers. I renamed it back to Macintosh HD on two of them, but I can't rename it on the other one. When I click on the name, and click again, the name doesn't go into entry mode, like it does on the others.

If system files have been moved and renamed, will it break the systems if I try to upgrade them? Do I need to go get all the system files back in order before I upgrade the system? At least now I have my virtual Mac so I can see all the system files the way they should be. I'm so happy to have my virtual Mac!

Jim

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:23 am

I'm not sure I understand. If you're using a PowerPC Mac (which the 6xxx series is) then you should be able to run Netscape 4.8 from Browser Central (part of this site).

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:43 am

dpaanlka wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. If you're using a PowerPC Mac (which the 6xxx series is) then you should be able to run Netscape 4.8 from Browser Central (part of this site).

Sorry! I got the browser pages mixed up. I was thinking that Browser Central was one of the places that had links to Netscape 4.05 and earlier. All those versions of Netscape have been removed from most of the sites that used to have them.

I can't use Browser Central's Netscape 4.8 without upgrading the systems on Patty's computers, from 7.5.3 to 8.1, and I don't want to do that without being absolutely sure I won't break them. I'm even afraid to try upgrading the one with 7.5.1, to 7.5.3. I'm not sure what happens when you try to upgrade a system when system files have been moved and renamed, and the name of the hard drive is ",". I'll need to do a lot of experimenting on a virtual Mac, before I feel safe trying that. Meanwhile, I need a browser that runs on 7.5.

Yesterday I finally found Navigator 4.05 at www.evolt.org.

Jim

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:44 pm

System 7.5.3 will also support the browser Opera 5, which is downloadable on this site at Browser Central.

The Netscape 4.05 downloadable from eVolt.org is for 68K Macs. While it will run on a PowerPC (PPC) Mac, for best performance you should find and use the PPC edition on your Power Macs.

On a system with questionable system files, I would select the "clean install" option from the System 7.5.3 installer.

I believe I've tried Netscape 4.8 under System 7.5.5 and it refused to start, citing that it requires System 7.6 to run. Still, you've got nothing to lose but a little time by downloading and trying it.

Have you considered doing the free upgrade to System 7.5.5? My System 7.5.5 install routine goes like this--many of the files are available from this site and all the software is freely downloadable:

Listed in order of installation:
System 7.5.3
System 7.5.5 Updater
PowerPC Interrupt Extension
LibMoto Extension
Stuffit Expander 5.5
Speed Doubler 8
Speed Doubler 8.1.2 Updater
Open Transport 1.1.2
Open Transport/PPP 1.0 (only needed for Dial-Up connections)
Internet Explorer 4.01
Netscape 4.05
Opera 5
Adobe Acrobat 4.05
MacOS Runtime for Java 1.5.1
QuickTime 5.0.5

Note that this routine only applies to PPC Macs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.