Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: *.hqx and *.sit with Basilisk/XP (Page 1 of 1)
  jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 am

My wife has some Power Mac 5260 computers for her students to use. One has 7.5.1 and the others have 7.5.3. I'm trying to set them up for Web browsing and file sharing, fix broken parts of the systems, tune them up, and possibly update them to 7.6.

I'm using Basilisk II/JIT to emulate a Mac on my XP computer at home, to practice and experiment, before I try anything on the actual computers. I'm using 68K emulation because I haven't got PowerPC emulation working yet. One reason for that is that I haven't been able to do anything yet with *.hqx and *.sit files.

I've been able to transfer *.bin, *.sea, and *.smi files to my emulated Mac with HFVExplorer, and to use them successfully, but I'm getting nowhere with *.hqx and *.sit files. I haven't been able to transfer any *.hqx files in usable form to my emulated Mac, and I can't use any *.sit files on without Stuffit Expander. I can't get Stuffit Expander onto it, because I haven't found any copy of Stuffit Expander anywhere on the Internet, that isn't in hqx or sit format!

When I try to transfer a *.hqx file to a Mac disk or disk image with HFVExplorer, it says "hqx file header not found." If I use "raw copy, data fork," it copies something to the disk or disk image, with an hqx extension, but when I try to open it in the emulator, it says:

----

The document -- could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found.

Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators.

----

I did manage to get a usable *.bin file into the emulator from a *.sit file, using a MacBinary Fork Encoding expansion with Stuffit Expander for Windows, but that didn't work with the Stuffit .sit file I found on the Internet.

Jim

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:10 am

Have you tried opening the files manually through Stuffit rather than double clicking them in the finder?

jimhabegger (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:31 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

Have you tried opening the files manually through Stuffit rather than double clicking them in the finder?

Yes.

I also tried AlZip. I have some hqx files that I can copy onto my emulation volumes and use, and some I can't. I've been doing some research on file formats, and looked at my files with Hexplorer, and found out that:

1. The "hqx" files that I haven't been able to use aren't really hqx files.
2. The "hqx" files on some download sites are really dmg files. To use them, after you download them you have to change the hqx to dmg and open them with Disk Copy. I'm not sure if that applies to the ones I've been trying to use or not. So far I haven't found any way to transfer them unchanged to any Mac volumes.

Jim

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 pm

Try this, put an alias of stuffit on your desktop, then drag the file you want to open on to it. I think it should open it.

Good Luck

Niki

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.