Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: How to - OS 7.1 to 7.5.5 with no optical drive (Page 1 of 1)
  BobWoodshed (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:59 pm

I made this little how to for my blog and thought I'd share it with anybody who ran into the same problem I did. I wanted to upgrade my LC III to 7.5.5, but my only means of transporting data was via floppies. I'm also new (again) to System 7 and wasn't aware of some of the utilities that I'd need to perform this task. Hopefully this is helpful for somebody.

While itís not the most horrible task in the world, upgrading to 7.5.5 with no optical drive is kind of a pain in the butt. Because I have no other Macs old enough to have a disk drive built in, hereís how I did it with my iMac G3.

What youíll need:
-A Mac with an internet connection and a USB port
-1 USB floppy drive
-2 1.44MB floppies
-OS 7.5.3
-OS 7.5.5 Upgrade
-Aladdin Expander 5.5
-DiskCopy

The first step is to download all 19 OS 7.5.3 disk images from Apple. Once you get them on your computer then hereís the fun part. Using your USB disk drive, place one image at a time onto a floppy and then load that data onto your non-optical drive Mac. I set up a 2 disk system where one disk was always having a new image loading on it while the other was installing one on my LC III. This is also a great time to move over Aladdin and DiskCopy.

Before you do anything with the actual OS images, go ahead and install both Aladdin and DiskCopy. Youíre going to need these programs later.

Once those 19 are on your classic Macís hard drive, youíre going to need to decompress them with Aladdin Expander. When all 19 are decompressed you can delete the original images to save hard drive space.

Youíll notice the first image has a different icon than the rest. Double click on that icon and from there the install process will take over. The whole process lasted like 30 minutes or so on my LC III with 8MB of RAM. It may have been longer, but thatís just coming from my gut.

Once youíve got your 7.5.3 install up and running, go ahead and transfer over the 7.5.5 update files you downloaded earlier. Double click on the install icon and a process very similar to the last install process will start. After a few minutes youíve got yourself a squeaky clean OS 7.5.5 install!

This entire process could have taken a whole lot less time had I spent a few bucks and bought an SCSI CD-ROM drive, but hey, thatíd be too easy.

[BobWoodshed.org]

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.