Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Resurrecting a Performa 400 (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  vtcessnapilot (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 am

Well folks, I finally dug my first Mac out of the closet and tried to boot her back up for the first time in years. All went well until it searched for a system folder... all it does now is flash a disk icon with a question mark.

I've seen this type of thing before, so I tried everything I could; all the fans, drives, etc. power up and seem to be functioning, but it cannot find the system. I've even tried reseating the HD data and power cables to make sure there was a good connection.

I really want to mess around with all of the old games and applications from my childhood for old time's sake, but I can’t seem to find a way to get it to boot! (strange, considering it worked perfectly when we put it into storage). Things are made a little more difficult with troubleshooting, since the 400 only has a floppy drive, with no modem or ethernet ports.

I do have a functioning Mac IIsi, if that can help with anything… I even tried swapping the drives in the computers to narrow down possible hardware problems, but the Performa’s drive still blinks at startup.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:03 am

If it can't find a System Folder.... then there isn't one on there. There is no hardware problem.

You'll have to find a copy of System 7. You can download 7.0.1 or 7.5.5 floppy disks from Apple, and create them on your IIsi. Mac OS 7.6.1 must be purchased on eBay or elsewhere if you want to try using the newer system.

vtcessnapilot (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:12 am

The strangest thing is that the computer worked perfectly when we boxed it up, system folder and all, but now it doesn’t want to boot. I know something’s there, but I’m not sure how to see it.

I suppose what I'm looking for is some sort of floppy-based OS repair disk for system 7. Any ideas on if something like that can be found?

If that doesn’t work, is there any way to hook up this hard drive as an additional drive in another system 7 Mac and transfer the data I’m looking for?

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:33 am

If your IIsi can go online, I'd download System 7.0.1 from Apple:

http://download.info.apple.com......1.smi.bin

Within the 7.0.1 download there is a Disk Tools diskette image. Make yourself a Disk Tools diskette and see if it can mount/verify/repair your Performa 400's drive.

Note that the Performa 400 supports up to System 7.5.5 only, and with its 16MHz 68030 processor, might be happier with 7.0.1...

Good Luck!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 am

Performa 400 can run 7.6.1 according to EveryMac

chale4 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:17 am

Hello--I am a brand new member as of a couple of minutes ago, thanks for being here, all.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as vtcessnapilot, only with a Quadra 610. In my case, I was trying to "clean up" some issues with it (e.g. can't get it to stop running a screen saver and can't find any folder devoted to monitor setup, screen saver, etc.!) and I "threw away" something needed to get past the "floppy with question mark" point in boot-up. Duh.
Can anyone here provide me with a OS 7.x boot floppy I could use to get this guy going again?

Thanks much--Charley Hale, Lafayette CO

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.