Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Resurrecting a Performa 400 (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  chale4 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am

Sorry, me again here; I should note that, like the original poster, I've got ANOTHER machine, in my case, an ~ identical Quadra 610, that works as far as I recall. Is there a straightforward way to use that machine to produce a boot floppy that I can use to get the other one going again? As is probably woefully clear, I have little older Mac experience and no old manuals, etc. Sigh. Anyhow, I thought I'd note this, too. Thanks again--Charley Hale

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:09 am

chale4 wrote:

Sorry, me again here; I should note that, like the original poster, I've got ANOTHER machine, in my case, an ~ identical Quadra 610, that works as far as I recall. Is there a straightforward way to use that machine to produce a boot floppy that I can use to get the other one going again? As is probably woefully clear, I have little older Mac experience and no old manuals, etc. Sigh. Anyhow, I thought I'd note this, too. Thanks again--Charley Hale

Welcome to System7Today, Charley.

Floppy images can be downloaded from Apple's Older Software Downloads.

Mac OSes do not include a mechinism for creating an emergeny floppy from an existing system. Since you have a working Quadra 610 it should be easier to get your non working Quadra 610 up and running again. It would be helpful to know what type of computer you are using for current access to the internet and whether you have you computers connected to a network.

bill

chale4 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for your reply here, Bill. I have multiple PCs on line no problem, and my son (visiting from college for a few more days) has a beautiful new MacBook (pretty sure it's called; the newest little laptops running about $1300-1500, very very nice machines) that's on our home LAN. It doesn't have a floppy drive, of course...grr. I have an external Dell USB floppy drive unit; could we use that?? Finally, I do have a few Mac-formatted "MF2HD-1.4MB" floppies on hand, that I know work OK in the Quadra.

Thanks much for your help! --Charley

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:43 am

chale4 wrote:

Thanks for your reply here, Bill. I have multiple PCs on line no problem, and my son (visiting from college for a few more days) has a beautiful new MacBook (pretty sure it's called; the newest little laptops running about $1300-1500, very very nice machines) that's on our home LAN. It doesn't have a floppy drive, of course...grr. I have an external Dell USB floppy drive unit; could we use that?? Finally, I do have a few Mac-formatted "MF2HD-1.4MB" floppies on hand, that I know work OK in the Quadra.

Thanks much for your help! --Charley

This file is an image for a startup disk that will work on the Quadra 610. You should be able to download this on any of your computers, transfer it using a floppy made on the Dell USB floppy. The Dell USB floppy drive should work fine on the MacBook and you can transfer the downloaded file to a Mac formatted floppy.

Copy the file from the floppy to the working Quadra 610. Once on the 610 you should be able to open the file (it is an application) and from there make a proper working Mac formatted floppy that will start the non working Quadra 610.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.