Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Performa 550 Upgrades (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  ronin (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Bill,
That is kind of how Dan answered this one. I have a PB 1400c running 7.6.1 I think that shoudl be good for me. THe Duo seems fine as is and I do not plan to use wireless or anything more modern with it, thanks.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:16 am

wove wrote:

Those that have the Apple logo on them will definately work with Apple's drive setup, but most others will too.

For example, this web site is being served from an SGI logo hard drive (10 GB, 10,000rpm), which still worked fine with Apple's disk utilities. In fact, it's not even a 50 pin SCSI drive, but a 68 pin Wide SCSI connected to the 8100's internal 50-pin SCSI with an adapter similar to this one.

relentless (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:28 pm

nayrb wrote:

I'm curious about the best way to upgrade my old Performa 550. Basically I just want to see what it can do, so I really have no purpose for it besides maybe playing those old mac games and just goofing off with it. I know I'll probably end up spending more on it than what it's really worth but that's ok.

I'm curious if this 2G would be overkill or if I should look at something a bit smaller.

http://www.welovemacs.com/scsi2gb.html

Also, what about the Sonnet Presto Plus to add a little more RAM and Ethernet support?

http://www.welovemacs.com/prplmuupca.html

Thanks! Your comments/suggestions are appreciated!

I too run a Performa 550. I currently am networked via AppleTalk phone line hookup to a PowerPC/8500/120. Is it possible to put ethernet on the 550? I also run a Performa630CD, what about ethernet options for it?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 pm

relentless wrote:

I too run a Performa 550. I currently am networked via AppleTalk phone line hookup to a PowerPC/8500/120. Is it possible to put ethernet on the 550? I also run a Performa630CD, what about ethernet options for it?

The Performa 550 has a standard LC expansion slot and there were network cards made for that slot. A few manufacturers made SCSI to Ethernet as well. The LEM Swaplist, eBay or perhaps even a post in the System7Today Classifieds section might turn up such a card.

The 630CD has the same LC expansion slot as the Performa 550 and your options for that are the same. The 630CD can accept a Video-in/TV card and Apple also made a DOS card for the 630, which makes it a somewhat capable and interesting machine.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.