Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Performa 550 Upgrades (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 pm

sierraredd wrote:

what does this have to do with this topic?

The OP said he found a 2 GB hard drive at We Love Macs for the ridiculous price of $70 Shocked

Deer Steak (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Thanks, Dan.

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. I'd definitely shop elsewhere.

nayrb (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:31 pm

that doesn't really answer my question, i'm curious what exactly i should be looking for.

will any 50pin scsi drive work? or are there only specific models that i should be looking for?

thanks!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:13 pm

nayrb wrote:

that doesn't really answer my question, i'm curious what exactly i should be looking for.

will any 50pin scsi drive work? or are there only specific models that i should be looking for?

Essentially yes any 50pin SCSI drive will work fine with 7.6.1. The LowEndMac swaplist generally has all manner of these drives available for a few dollars.

Those that have the Apple logo on them will definately work with Apple's drive setup, but most others will too. I have 7.6.1 on a Duo 280 with a 300MB drive so basic functionality does not require a huge drive.

bill

ronin (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Bill,
I just posted on the software side. I was asking about OS 7.6.1 on my Duo 280c. It currently has OS 7.1. Should I upgrade?
Scott

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:35 pm

ronin wrote:

I just posted on the software side. I was asking about OS 7.6.1 on my Duo 280c. It currently has OS 7.1. Should I upgrade?
Scott

I have no idea what you intend to do with your Duo 280 and am not in a position to make the call on upgrading its OS. I use mine with Nisus Compact to do some letter writing in the evening, and also play some Solitaire. I could do both of those using 7.1 but I use 7.6 mainly because that is what is installed on it. And as is pointed out in the other thread, changing the OS on a Duo is not a trivial task.

My advice would be that if you are getting done what you want to get done with the Duo and 7.1 then I would stick with it. Much of the thrust of 7.6.1 is to keep slower machines productive in a newer environment. That newer environment consists mostly of graphics and interenet intensive applications and regardless of what OS you choose for a Duo 280 its use in those environments will be limited.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.