Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Contextual Menus? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, but not to Mac OS 7. I run 7.6.1 on my PB180, and am going to run 7.6.1 on my Powerbook 1400c/133 when it arrives (so excited!!)

one question I have, is there some kind of extension/control panel/application/haxie that will enable contextual menus in OS 7.6? I get really used to them in my B&W G3 which is my main machine running 10.4.8 tiger.

also, while I have your attention, I was wondering, I have mac OS 7.6.0 on a CD (burned as a backup many years ago). will the PB1400 boot off it? what I did to get 7.6 running on my PB180 was to mount it on my B&W, and using classic, make all 23 floppy images hiding on the CD (they're there, buried several folders deep). I really dont want to have to do that again.

lastly, if the above works, does it have to have 7.6.1 to boot, or will I be able to get 7.6.0 running, and then download the .1 updater? if not, I have Mac OS 9 on a CF card I have in a 16 bit PCMCIA adapter, and I can boot off that, install 7.6.0 from the CD, then connect to the net while the CF card is booted, and then go and get the .1 updater.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 am

iamdigitalman wrote:

Hi all, new to the forum, but not to Mac OS 7. I run 7.6.1 on my PB180, and am going to run 7.6.1 on my Powerbook 1400c/133 when it arrives (so excited!!)

As you should be!

iamdigitalman wrote:

one question I have, is there some kind of extension/control panel/application/haxie that will enable contextual menus in OS 7.6? I get really used to them in my B&W G3 which is my main machine running 10.4.8 tiger.

No. However, you will find that some programs have their own contextual menu functionality under Mac OS 7, such as Internet Explorer 5, Netscape 4.8, iCab, Opera, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc...

As for the Mac OS itself, while you may be used to contextual menus in OS X, in System 7, everything you would access in a contextual menu is available in the main Menu Bar.

iamdigitalman wrote:

also, while I have your attention, I was wondering, I have mac OS 7.6.0 on a CD (burned as a backup many years ago). will the PB1400 boot off it? what I did to get 7.6 running on my PB180 was to mount it on my B&W, and using classic, make all 23 floppy images hiding on the CD (they're there, buried several folders deep). I really dont want to have to do that again.

Only if the CD has a bootable System Folder on it.

iamdigitalman wrote:

lastly, if the above works, does it have to have 7.6.1 to boot, or will I be able to get 7.6.0 running, and then download the .1 updater? if not, I have Mac OS 9 on a CF card I have in a 16 bit PCMCIA adapter, and I can boot off that, install 7.6.0 from the CD, then connect to the net while the CF card is booted, and then go and get the .1 updater.

The PowerBook 1400 can run as low as System 7.5.2 (or something like that) so yes, it will run off 7.6. You'll want to upgrade to 7.6.1 as soon as possible. It is available here, along with other things.

My main System 7 computer is actually a PowerBook 1400c/133, that I use alongside my PowerBook G4 17" running Tiger while I'm here at college.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:38 am

thanks for the quick reply.

I really like contextual menus, because they allow my mouse to save it's self a trip. and yes, I knew that everything can be invoked by the menus, it's just not as much fun.

and yes, the CD-ROM is bootable. I hooked it to my SCSI CD-ROM drive (before it died), and it booted my LC III right away. this drive is about 10 years old, so I am surpried it sould read a home made disk.

the reason I was asking about 7.6 being the base minimum, is because apple-history has this below the PB1400 specs:

Notes
Early 1400cs/117 models had 12 MB of motherboard RAM. The Minimum System Sofrtware of the 133 and 166 MHz models was 7.6.1 and they shipped with a 128 kB level 2 cache, and 8x CD-ROM drives. Later 1400cs/166 models included a 12x CD-ROM.

I know the early models can do 7.5, but dunno about mine, as it is a 133mhz model.

and for anyone who is interested, the 23 floppy images of 7.6 are located on the CD in this directory (from the root folder): /Disk Images/Mac OS 7.6 no, I will not give them to you,. not until apple makes 7.6 public domain. it's odd, on thier older software page, thier disclamer states that the page will not be changed/updated, however, they recently removed several versions of system 6, so all you can get is 6.0.3, 6.0.5, and 6.0.8. wierd.

lastly, I want to share my joy with everyone. here's a link to the auction I won for my 1400 (look at all the accesories, including an apple mousepad!! i've been looking everywhere for one of those!!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....1&rd=1

I think I got a good deal. and one of my friends over at the 68kmla said he will send me a 24mb ram card for it FOR FREE!! Combine that with another 24mb ram card I have my eyes on, and I will max it out to 64mb for close to free. Wow, I really lucked out on this one. now all I need is a wavelan gold card (I have 128 bit WEP encryption on my home network), and i'll be golden (no pun intended).

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 am

Some people experience difficulty with the wireless encryption with the WaveLAN cards on anything less than Mac OS 8.6. My network is not encrypted, nor is my school's, so I wouldn't be of much help there if you run into problems.

From looking at that auction, it appears the original Mac OS 7.6 install CD is included, so you wont have to even worry about any of that.

To boot the PowerBook 1400c from a CD-ROM, you have to hold down Command + Option + Shift + Delete, rather than just "C" like on every other Macintosh ever made.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:20 am

yeah, I noticed the restore CD, it actually has OS 7.6.1. I asked the seller.

and, if I do run ito encryption problems, I could always turn it off and change the settings on my 2 other wireless devices. no biggie. But i certinly hope it works with encryption as I am super parinoid.

and i knew about the CD boot key dance for a while. it's strange how that was the only mac to use that key combo...

-digital Wink

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:59 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

As noted earlier there is probably no good reason for contextual menus with OS 7.6.1. However if you do want them, you can install the Apple Data Detectors software, which enables contextual menus and works through them. After the Data Detector software is installed, you can download and install third party contextual menus which seem to work fine.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.