Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: OS 7.6.1 on a Duo 280c (Page 1 of 1)
  ronin (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 pm

I read that the Duo 280c will support OS 7.6.1. Has anyone tried it?

I have the OS on cd, but how can I copy it onto floppy so I can use it with the Duo? Will I have to find an old copy of the floppy version?

Am I wasting my time with this? It currently has OS 7.1.1.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:57 pm

ronin wrote:

I read that the Duo 280c will support OS 7.6.1. Has anyone tried it?

All 68040 systems support Mac OS 7.6.1

ronin wrote:

I have the OS on cd, but how can I copy it onto floppy so I can use it with the Duo? Will I have to find an old copy of the floppy version?

If you insert your CD into some other computer, if you're lucky, you'll see a folder named "Disk Images" which contains all the floppy images for the installer, that you can use to create floppies using Disk Copy.

If you don't have this folder (only some of the CDs do), you can also find yourself a LocalTalk cable (aka an Apple printer cable) and connect your Duo to some other system directly using File Sharing via AppleTalk through your printer cable. Before installing, create a folder on your hard drive called "Old Stuff" and drag everything on your entire hard drive, including your previous system, onto it. Then connect (via the printer cable) to your other computer with the Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD on it, and do a "clean install" onto your hard drive.

ronin wrote:

Am I wasting my time with this? It currently has OS 7.1.1.

7.6.1 is quite different than 7.1.1.

ronin (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:51 pm

I have OS 7.6.1 on my PB1400c and I will have it installed on the 8600/300 that is in the mail.

I'm just not sure that 7.6.1 will do anything for me on that computer

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Well you don't have to upgrade if you feel that it suits your needs as-is.

7.1 of course will be more responsive than 7.6.1 would.

ronin (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:28 am

Dan,
I do think OS 7.6.1 is a better system for the Duo. I will just need to obtain the OS on floppy. I am limited on the hardware that I have.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.