Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Power Book Duo 230, help! (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:15 pm

I recently obtained a power book duo 230 AND two duo docks for it! I'd totally be rocking with this laptop and all the wonderful software on this site, but for one problem. I boot it up (I have to run on AC, the batteries are shot) and it goes "bong!" like it's supposed to. Then, before anything else happens, it plays a sort of unhappy sounding tone that can really only be described as a "game over" tone from an 8-bit rpg. The caps lock on the keyboard lights up, so I know parts of it are still functioning. The dock had an old disk labeled "Boot Disk System 7.5" which I assume is a Mac OS boot disk, so I could probably revive this thing if I only knew what was wrong! I'm thinking it's a hardware issue but I'm not totally sure. Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end here and would try almost anything.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:23 pm

What does the screen display? Anything at all?

echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:45 pm

Nope, nothing. Plays that tone before anything at all happens.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:23 pm

After it plays the tone, trying turning up the brightness on your display. If you can't do that, look at the display very closely. It might be showing something, but the backlight is off.

Visit this page and go through the eight "crash sounds" and tell us if the weird noises you hear are any of those.

echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:35 pm

Well, I can't play any of those sounds on that web page, but there is definitely nothing on the screen at all. Totally black. I'm going to try and obtain a proper mac monitor to plug into the dock to see if anything comes up there.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:08 pm

echo35 wrote:

Well, I can't play any of those sounds on that web page

What?? thats weird... what kind of computer are you using to browse these forums?

echo35 wrote:

Totally black. I'm going to try and obtain a proper mac monitor to plug into the dock to see if anything comes up there.

Hmm well I have a feeling you're Duo is having a severe hardware issue if what you're describing is a crash sound... which I think it is.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.