Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Power Book Duo 230, help! (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:30 pm

I took a video of it with my camera phone and posted it on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videop.....4723462032

I think it's a hardware issue personally but I've inspected it and found nothing wrong with it. All the parts are there and intact. Oh, I'm using a custom built Linux box here. I don't actually own any Mac besides the one that won't boot.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah, that's a death chime. That means the hardware check failed. There are many things that can cause this... it's strange that it's not displaying anything, as death chimes usually go along with sad mac faces.

echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

I have a feeling thatit's the hard drive, since it doesn't even getto the point of displaying anything and when I had the case open, it didn't vibrate or make a sound like you would expect a normalhdd to make, and everything else seems fine. I figuredit was failing a POST, could it be the hdd?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:38 pm

No, it wouldn't be the hard drive. Any Macintosh should at least display the blinking floppy question mark icon if there is no hard drive or a corrupt hard drive. And when you hear those death chimes, it would be displaying the dead Mac icon on the screen. Your problem is likely more serious.

RacerX (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 pm

Well, here are a couple possibilities...
  1. Memory error. This doesn't mean the memory is bad, because you can get that type of sound if you add/replace memory without clearing the PRAM (or reset the logic board) on older Macs .
  2. The battery is really bad. I've seen Duos with batteries so bad that they wouldn't start with them connected. Easiest solution is to pull the battery. If you want b bad battery in (for esthetics), cover the leads of the battery with electrical tape.
To clear the PRAM on that system, hold down apple-option-P-R while starting it. Hold those keys down until the system has done the startup chime three times and then let go of them. I'd do this with the battery out if I were you.

echo35 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:05 pm

Yes, the battery is that dead. Won't boot with it in, as it's totally shot. Anyway, I tried that key combination (with the battery out of course) and nothing at all changed. Still makes the weird death chime. I checked the small internal battery with my volt meter and it read 4.34 volts. Is that enough?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.