Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Need help with my 8500/120 (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  jmarran14221 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 pm

HELP!!! I have a Powermac 8500/120 upgraded to a G3/300 with a NewerTech card. I have 336 MB of RAM. I also have 2 HDD installed. My main OS is 9.1. Problem is...is that I downloaded 7.5.3 from Apple's website. When I unzipped everything, I chose the Universal Installation for ANY Mac. After installing, I chose the 7.5.3 disk with Startup Disk. The Mac starts...and then I get a warning message stating that it is the "wrong startup disk". What does this mean? I am new to Mac, but it seems that a Universal Install would work on this machine. What am I doing wrong?

HELP!!!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Did you install over your current installation, or did you choose to perform a clean install?

You should have been able to make a floppy disk called "Disk Tools" - use this to boot your computer.

Once you boot from the Disk Tools disk (whichever one of the two is appropriate for your system) you should initialize (format) your hard drive and then install a clean copy of the OS.

I'm not entirely familiar with the 7.5.x installer as 7.6 is entirely different (much easier).

jmarran14221 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:34 pm

After initialization, can I install 7 from within 9.1???

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 pm

jmarran14221 wrote:

HELP!!! I have a Powermac 8500/120 upgraded to a G3/300 with a NewerTech card. I have 336 MB of RAM. I also have 2 HDD installed. My main OS is 9.1. Problem is...is that I downloaded 7.5.3 from Apple's website. When I unzipped everything, I chose the Universal Installation for ANY Mac. After installing, I chose the 7.5.3 disk with Startup Disk. The Mac starts...and then I get a warning message stating that it is the "wrong startup disk". What does this mean? I am new to Mac, but it seems that a Universal Install would work on this machine. What am I doing wrong?

HELP!!!

Does the G3/300 upgrade card require any enabler to make the computer boot? Does the upgrade card support 7.5.3?

I gather that you installed 7.5.3 and the installer ran to a successful completion. If there is any special software in your primary OS folder (9.1) that relates to the upgrade card, I would move it the corresponding folders created by the 7.5.3 installer. You might want to reinstall the 120MHz card to see if the System boots and the 7.5.3 system is good.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:49 pm

You can find Newer Technology G3 upgrade drivers for System 7 at the Help Center.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:28 pm

jmarran14221 wrote:

After initialization, can I install 7 from within 9.1???

Once you initialize, there will no longer be a 9.1 system installed. You will have a blank hard drive then. When you download 7.5.3, it comes as 19 floppy disks. Make all 19 floppies (find all the floppies you can!) Obviously, you'll want to do this either before you initialize your hard drive, or from some other Macintosh with a floppy drive.

There will be two disk tools floppies in that set. Boot from the disk tools floppies to initialize (initializing is the Mac word for formatting) the hard drive. Then boot from "Install Disk 1" and that will allow you to install a fresh OS onto your freshly formatted hard drive. It's all graphical, unlike installing Windows.

To make the floppies you have to use the Apple Disk Copy utility, which you probably have, but if you don't you can download from this site. That program will take the floppy disk images you download, and create bootable floppy replicas from them.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.