Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Transferring Large files (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  jwally (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Having discovered that the CD's created on my iMac (OS10.4) are not readable by my PowerMac 8500, I had to find a way to transfer large files (that won't fit on a floppy) from the internet-connected iMac to the unconnected 8500 (OS 7.6.1). I obtained a crossover cable and tried to get the two Mac's to talk - without success. I'm assuming my problem is that I haven't installed Open Transport 1.1.2 (7.2Mb) and Appleshare 3.8.3 (6.4Mb.) Of course, those are among the files I'm trying to transfer over!

My questions: assuming I can install these programs from system install disks, which system disks can I pull them off of? If that isn't a solution, is there some hack that will allow me to read the iMac created CD's? Or maybe you have some other suggestions

Thanks

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:09 pm

You can forget all that, because there is an easy way to make CDs in OS X that Mac OS 7 can read.

You have to first create an HFS Standard disk image that is the size of a CD in Disk Utility. First, launch Disk Utility, click "New Image" Give it a name like System 7 Disk and save it to your desktop. Where it says "size" choose the size of your CD. Where it says "encryption" leave it as none. And set "format" to read/write disk image.

Then, after you create the disk image, go back into disk utility, select your newly created disk image from the white pane on the left (it will only appear here if you saved it to the desktop), and click the "erase" tab.

Where it says "volume format" choose "Mac OS Standard" and then also give your volume a new name (this will not change the name of the file). Then hit erase!

Tada! Now minimize disk utility, and in the finder drag whatever files you want to put into the CD into the mounted image volume (if it is not mounted, mount it by double clicking on it). Once you fill it up, go back into disk utility again, click on the image again, and click "Burn" in the upper left hand corner. Mac OS X will now burn a CD that Mac OS 7 can read! Exciting!

I would download every update that pertains to your system that you find in the Important Updates section, as well as every other driver for any peripherals or any other hardware you need/want, and put it onto this CD so you always have a master copy of everything should you ever decide to re-install the OS.

Both 68k and PowerPC systems will be able to read this disk.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm

To burn cd's that an older mac can read...
Go in to the application folder on your imac, open the utilities folder and look for disk utilitiy. You want to create a new disk image. Pick the best options for you. Once created you will see a drive icon in the list on the left side of the disk utility screen. Select it, and on the right side you will see the tabs, first aid, erase, raid, restore. Choose the erase tab. On Volume Format, select MAC OS Standard. Then Click the erase button. You will then find the Disc image on your desktop, probably under your imacs hard drive location. Put what ever you need to put on it like a normal drive. When you are ready go back to disk utility and select the "whateveryounamedit.dmg" from the list on the left side. Click the burn button at the top of the disk utility screen. Follow the instructions on the burn screen. Put a disk in and burn away.

As long as the image is formated to the MAC OS standard any mac should be able to read it. I hope I haven't left anything out. If I did, just let me know here.

Good Luck

Niki

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Looks like dan beat me to it.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:33 pm

I would need some clarification on this, but does the stock CD Driver that comes with 7.6 support burned CDs?

I know that the CD Driver that came with 7.1 did not support burned CDs, but I do not know when support was added.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:46 pm

I'm not sure... I know the 7.6.1 stock one does though, and of course the updated one found on this site does too.

I also think it had more to do with hardware limitations... very early SCSI CD-ROM drives were probably not able to read burned CDs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.