Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PMac 5260 System 7 install (Page 1 of 1)
  indtm (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Not mac expert but have PMac 5260/OS 8 and about to inherit a vinyl cutting machine that uses System 7.

- Can I install System 7 and not disrupt OS 8?
- Will System 7 open up automatically when opening up vinyl cutting program or,
- will System 7 need to be up and running prior?
- Would an external drive work if the above doesn't?

I use the computer for patent drawing w/an old version of ClarisCAD 8.1 and don't want to disrupt OS 8.

Appreciate the assistance.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm

indtm wrote:

Not mac expert but have PMac 5260/OS 8 and about to inherit a vinyl cutting machine that uses System 7.

I use the computer for patent drawing w/an old version of ClarisCAD 8.1 and don't want to disrupt OS 8.

System 7 and OS 8 can coexist on the same machine. The computer will need to be started with the system you need to use. The Mac OS can not be changed while the computer is running.

Apple has an extension I believe called System Picker that can be used for that purpose. A frequent contributor here "Sierraredd" uses something along those line with her PowerBook 1400s. A search of the forums might turn up mentions of it. Depending on how the profile is configured you may be able to send email directly to them using a link in the profile.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:19 pm

indtm wrote:

Appreciate the assistance.

Mac OS 7 is not a program, it is the Operating System. You have to start the computer in either Mac OS 7 or Mac OS 8, but they can't run at the same time. Think Windows 95 vs Windows 98. Yes, the two System Folders can exist on the same hard drive, but I would recommend you put them on two different partitions, or even more practical, just pick one OS to use and be done with it.

By the way, you can run ClarisCAD on Mac OS 7. ClarisCAD "8.1" doesn't mean it needs Mac OS 8.

"Mac OS 7" is the official name of System 7 versions 7.6 and up.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:45 am

I definately recommend partionioning the drive. All my 1400's have at least a 6gig hard drive in them. Half is 7.6.1 and the other is 8.6. System picker is easy to use. Just take the time to get everything set up the way you want and there shouldn't be any problems.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.