Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Returning to the fold (reinstalling Mac OS 7.6 on my 1400) (Page 1 of 5)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:14 pm

OK, when I got the mac exactly one week ago, it had Mac OS 7.6 on the hard disk. I formatted it, as it had customized versions of several pieces of software, and I really didnt need them. So, I whipped out my mac OS 8.5 CD, installed it, updated to 8.6, and enjoyed it for a few days.

Then the hard disk crashed. it gave me a type 11 error, which I thought 7.6.1 eliminated. So, I clicked restart, and I got the dreaded blinking ?. I contimplated what to do, as I copied a few hundred MBs of MP3s into iTunes 1.1 (Mac OS 8 hacked version). Luckily, all those MP3s are on CDs, so no big whoop. I whipped out the original restore CD, which I got with the machine, and am installing it now.

I really liked 8.6 for it's contextual menus (dig up my ranting post about them if you want), spring loaded folders, platnium interface, and HFS+.

is there anything I can install to get stuff like that? I know kaleidescope will work for theming, but what else?

oh, it has a whopping 56mb of ram, 168mb once I get RD2 installed, so dont worry about ram.

-digital Wink

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:28 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

I really liked 8.6 for it's contextual menus (dig up my ranting post about them if you want), spring loaded folders, platnium interface, and HFS+.

is there anything I can install to get stuff like that? I know kaleidescope will work for theming, but what else?

Yes, but then that defeats the purpose of running Mac OS 7 (which is for speed). If you want those things, I would recommend you stick with Mac OS 8 or 9, although of course we here welcome you to try OS 7 with us here. Appearance Manager (the official Apple platinum appearance additions for Mac OS 7) is just not a favored thing here. Here is a recent thread about it: http://forums.system7today.com.....php?p=2175

Also, RD2 doesn't literally double your RAM. You still have only 56mb of RAM.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:30 pm

I know, RD2 only makes the system think it has more ram than it does.

also, I didnt know about the appearance manger. Interesting. But I will give it a go without for now. I run system 7 on both my LC III and Classic I.

also, I am getting some type 11 errors when installing 7.6 off the restore CD. first is was stopping at open transport appletalk, so I unchecked that in the custom install. In fact, I dont even have anything from the "networking and communications" section checked. But it just now froze as I am typing this at a type 11 error at "Reading PC card modem File: VT102 Tool" where is that located, if not in the networking and communications part?

-digital Wink

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:38 pm

OK, just found it under "PC card extensions" under mobility. unchecked it, and it's installing now. also chose "minimal system software for any macintosh" rather than "system software for this macintosh only".

so far so good. will let you know what happens.

I also downloaded a bunch of software, stuffed it onto a CF card that is going into my PC card slot. will it read it fine?

dang, it just froze again. this time it's at "reading ColorSync(tm) Profile: Apple Multipule Scan 20 -" time to uncheck colorsync...

-digital Wink

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 pm

Did you have the same troubles installing os8.x? Or is it just when trying to install 7.6? Also check the disk for fingerprints and scratches they will give errors and lock up an install. Try a scratched disk repair, the stuff I find that works good is a paste kind of like car wax, it fills in scratches. Hope it helps.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm

yeah, I checked for scratches and fingerprints before it went in the machine. guess I missed some.

Installing again. if it doesnt install this time, i'll power it off for the night, and give it another shot come morning.

oh, here's the specs for you all:

1400c
133mhz 603e
56mb ram (8mb built in, 8mb on apple board, 16mb on exp. card, and 24mb on second exp card, sandwitched together)
1.3gb IBM hard drive.

dang, it forze again at "system". guess that cant be disabled. Wink gonna check the disc in the morning.

-digital Wink

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.