Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Returning to the fold (reinstalling Mac OS 7.6 on my 1400) (Page 3 of 5)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 am

AppleTalk is unrelated to internet. You can disable that. If you are connected to a properly configured network, the TCP/IP control panel should automatically fetch an IP address. Is it doing so?

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:26 pm

right, I did that, and it still doesn't work.

I noticed on the website that one person trashed the Built-in-Ethernet extension. I tried that, still nothing. they also provided farralon skyline drivers, as for some odd reason, those might work. tried them, still naught.

maybe because it is a 3C589B, and most of the reports on there are for the 3C589C and 3C589D cards? they did say they had a report of a working 3C589B card.

or perhaps it's because I'm running 7.6? havnt updated to 7.6.1 yet since the machine crashed.

btw, this machine seems to be alot more stable with 7.6 than it was with 8.6. just a testimate to the longevity of system 7.

-digital Wink

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:53 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

btw, this machine seems to be alot more stable with 7.6 than it was with 8.6. just a testimate to the longevity of system 7.

Wait 'til its running 7.6.1.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 pm

it WAS running 7.6.1. it just crashed last night. I had to rerun ASR to fix it. the 3Com driver caused it to crash. it was something about the first reboot, it would do that, except I didnt realize I was supposed to hit the restart button in the window, and not give it the three finger salute.

-digital Wink

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:46 pm

I've only encountered this many crashes with a 1400 one other time, that was a logic board failure, i couldn't install any os with out complications, if I did it wouldn't load it the next time. Has it screamed and given the dead mac, (a little mac icon with it's eyes closed on full black screen) yet? On another note. When you do get the system installed, copy the system folder and rename it, something like "cleansystemfolder" that way you can tinker with it and if you have to trash it and put an untampered system folder back in and tinker some more. Hopefully it's just pickey drivers and conflicted software, not a full logic board.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 pm

it's probibly the PRAM battery, but that's just a wild guess. as I said, it has been rock solid with 7.6 on it (now 7.6.1. finally updated). I certinly hope it's not a LB failure, as I bought this mac to tinker with, and maybe put it into full productive use, which it is slowly creeping towards.

I already tinkered with the system folder, so when I get done here, I will copy the system folder to a CF card as it is, so that way since it is stable in it's current config, I can return to a previous state.

also, I ran the stuffit 5.5 installer, and it kept asking my for stuffit engine to be upgraded to version 5 or above. I had an older version of stuffit engine that came with it installed. So, I remember 5.5 is on the Mac OS 9 CD. I popped it in, navigated to the system folder, and copied stuffit engine 5.5 and the powerplug (is that really needed with 7.6.1?) to my system folder. maybe i should stuff that and give it to you so it can be hosted here? lemmie know.

also, what does libmoto do? I installed it, but dont see any difference.

I dunno, maybe it was just an unhappy camper with anything higer than 7.6. And/or, it must have been s sign from the system7today gods...

-digital Wink

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.