Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Returning to the fold (reinstalling Mac OS 7.6 on my 1400) (Page 4 of 5)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:13 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

I already tinkered with the system folder, so when I get done here, I will copy the system folder to a CF card as it is, so that way since it is stable in it's current config, I can return to a previous state.

also, I ran the stuffit 5.5 installer, and it kept asking my for stuffit engine to be upgraded to version 5 or above. I had an older version of stuffit engine that came with it installed. So, I remember 5.5 is on the Mac OS 9 CD. I popped it in, navigated to the system folder, and copied stuffit engine 5.5 and the powerplug (is that really needed with 7.6.1?) to my system folder. maybe i should stuff that and give it to you so it can be hosted here? lemmie know.

also, what does libmoto do? I installed it, but dont see any difference.

The safest way to install is to use the installers which ensures items end up in the right places. For Stuffit both the engine and PowerPlug need to reside in the Extensions folder.

libmoto is also an extension and needs to be in the Extension folder. It is Motorola's library of math routines for the PPC series of chips and will enhance performance significantly in areas that involve vector processing.

For the Mac OS I think you will find the 3Com card rev D to be head and shoulders above the other versions. Although I am not positive, I am not sure that the earlier revisions of the card are even supported on the Mac. Once a PC card is put in the slot, it should show up as an icon on the desktop. If it does not, it would be an indication that necessary system support software is missing.

bill

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm

the card does show up on the desktop, so it should work fine. dunno why not.

also, thanks for clearing up what libmoto does. I noticed the puzzle piece shape of the icon, so I figure it MUST be an extension. I know most extensions use puzzle piece icons, and all control panels use a icon with a slider on it somewhere, usually at the bottom, but I have a few with it on the side. plus, if I dont know where it goes, but know it belongs in the system folder, then I just drop it on the icon, and the system will usually figure it out. also, most CSMs have a polygon shape, square on one end, and a curvy point on the other.

so, yeah, I do know where things go.

-digital Wink

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:57 pm

I doubt the pram battery has any effect much. I don't have them in my 1400's, they are a pain to replace, so when I had the case opened i just yank them, I've found even a mediocre pb battery works fine. Just need to plug it in. But it sounds like you've got it figured out. I've had my share of oops's related to extentsions. I hope everything works out, I love my 1400's,

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:04 pm

one odd symptom, I'm wondering if you know what's causing it, is the sound is constantly crackling. I haven't tried headphones yet, but when the boot chime tools, or the system speaks to me, it sounds horrid with this constant cracking.

also, I need to know if anyone has a hacked version of the password security control panel, version 2.0 or above, if possible. it requires 8.5 to run, but I want to run it on 7.6.1. I hacked version 1.0.8 out of the 8.5 CD. The reason I ask, is with 2.0, you can fill out owner details that are displayed with startup. right now, I have "$ for safe return" with my phone number in the hint box, but I'd rather have a full set of info.

also, with the 1.0.8 cdev, there are some odd sprites or things around the "setup" button, which is odd.

also, does anyone have a manual or some info regarding how to work resedit (soon to be super resedit). I know how to change version numbers, but that's it. btw, changing the version string from 7.6.1 to 8.5 does not make password security run, so dont even try.

-digital Wink

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:56 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

also, does anyone have a manual or some info regarding how to work resedit (soon to be super resedit). I know how to change version numbers, but that's it. btw, changing the version string from 7.6.1 to 8.5 does not make password security run, so dont even try.

I have a pdf copy of the Apple Developer Connection's ResEdit Instructions. It is a 1MB file I can email that to you. Contact me going through the email in my profile.

Zen and the Art of ResEditing is a good book on resource editing and there are generally a few copies of that available through eBay.

bill

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:43 pm

actually, I have an ADC membership, but I didnt see that document on the website, could you link it to me via PM or something? thanks, that will help me understand the inner workings of my OS.

-digital Wink

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.