Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Returning to the fold (reinstalling Mac OS 7.6 on my 1400) (Page 2 of 5)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:52 pm

If your PowerBook 1400 has a 6x or 8x CD-ROM drive, it isn't going to like any burned CD.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 am

dpaanlka wrote:

If your PowerBook 1400 has a 6x or 8x CD-ROM drive, it isn't going to like any burned CD.

yeah, I know. I have an 8x module. it wont boot burned CDs, but it will read them just fine. all my music I copied was on burned CDs, and I have Mac OS 8.5 on a burned CD. so I just booted off my mac OS 9 CD, installed a very small system (core only), rebooted, and ran the 8.5 CD. no problem.

-digital Wink

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:18 pm

OK, got it running. there is a little program on the CD called "apple software restore". I ran that, it copied a hard drive image file and decompressed it to my hard drive, and 15 minutes later, I had a working system 7 box.

now, how do I get connected to the net with a Global village 33.6k modem hooked to the serial port? I tired ARA, but it kept giving me a bunch of errors. there is Apple Internet Connection Kit on the drive. would that work? if so, how would I get it to make things work?

-digital Wink

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm

iamdigitalman wrote:

now, how do I get connected to the net with a Global village 33.6k modem hooked to the serial port? I tired ARA, but it kept giving me a bunch of errors. there is Apple Internet Connection Kit on the drive. would that work? if so, how would I get it to make things work?

I have had trouble installing a global village modem on a 1400 myself. Try installing it on another system to see if it works. So it may not be the modem. I've tried on 3 different 1400's with various os's. Put wifi on it. Much easier.

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 pm

I dont have the funds for wifi, ATM. need a new motherboard for my B&W G3 workhorse first.

also, I do have a 3Com etherlink III 3C589B. I tried the hacked driver, got a system error after reboot, hit restart, but that caused the system to freeze, so I three fingered it, and it couldnt find the system folder. So, I rebooted, and am running ASR now. the Mac OS Install app keeps quitting with error type 15 now.

-digital Wink

iamdigitalman (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:46 pm

OK, I got it all set back up, restored everything, reinstalled 3com driver, and it went to an illegal instruction at reboot against a black screen. I let it sit for 10 minutes (system froze, no mouse or anything).

I gave the tree finger salute, and surprisingly, it booted!! after the 3com extension loaded, I get the green light on full on the card. Fired up netscape 3.0, and it went blank for 5 minutes or so, then I get an error dialog saying:

Quote:

Netscape was unable to create a Network soccet connection.
There may be insufficent system resources or the network may be down. (Reason:)
Try connecting again later or try restarting Netscape.

what exactly is wrong? I checked TCP/IP. settings are: alternet ethercard and Use DCHP server.

what do the settings for Appletalk need to be? enabled or disabled, and what port?

oh, and after the netscape error, the LED on the card blinks green every 2 seconds.

-digital Wink

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.