Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook Duo and Newer Ultradock (Page 1 of 4)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:51 pm

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has encountered this problem: I've a Powerbook Duo 2300c and have got hold of an Ultradock 16sce, which has SCSI and ethernet connectors, with which I was hoping to install 7.6, connect to the internet and so on.

However, with the dock inserted, the machine won't boot properly - it hangs at a grey screen with a moving pointer. It doesn't get as far as the happy mac symbol (or a sad one for that matter). However the ADB and sound out ports of the dock must be working beacuse I can hear the startup chime and the pointer will move with a plug-in mouse.

Is the dock just broken do you think? Or is there some setting or known problem at work here?

I'd be greatful for any advice, many thanks!!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:27 pm

roba85 wrote:

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has encountered this problem: I've a Powerbook Duo 2300c and have got hold of an Ultradock 16sce, which has SCSI and ethernet connectors, with which I was hoping to install 7.6, connect to the internet and so on.

However, with the dock inserted, the machine won't boot properly - it hangs at a grey screen with a moving pointer. It doesn't get as far as the happy mac symbol (or a sad one for that matter). However the ADB and sound out ports of the dock must be working beacuse I can hear the startup chime and the pointer will move with a plug-in mouse.

Is the dock just broken do you think? Or is there some setting or known problem at work here?

I'd be greatful for any advice, many thanks!!

I have a Duo 280c and the same Ultradock 16sce. The Duo booted fine with the dock attached even before the drivers were installed. The drivers are availabe here on System7today, in the help center under driver downloads.

I would try and see what happens with nothing attached to the dock. You can power the Duo from the Dock as well as power the Dock from the Duo and it might be worth checking it both ways. I assume that you can boot the Duo without having the Dock attached and it might be of value to set the system up as a bare minimum system for a start with the dock attached.

Also the Duo 2300 can use either a SCSI hard drive or an ATA harddrive. If you have an ATA harddrive installed the SCSI bus might be in some indeterminate state. It might be worth hooking an external SCSI device to the dock before starting and making sure the external SCSI device is terminated.

bill

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:09 pm

Many thanks for your advice, Bill. Unfortunately I still can't get it to work. I've given the Powerbook a clean install of 7.2.1 (which I think came with it) and tried just the dock, and the same problem still occurs. I then attached an external SCSI CD-ROM drive (the only external SCSI drive I have!) to it and tried that, but there is still a blank grey screen, no matter which power button I use. You can manually set the SCSI id on the back of the drive - I tried 1 and 0 to no avail, but should it be something specific? (The Powerbook does indeed have an ATA drive). The CD-ROM drive lights do blink a bit at startup and when the Powerbook is switched off, but nothing else happens. I had the 7.6 install CD in there at the time.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say, there is a terminator attached to the CD drive (does it matter which port it is attached to? The two on the back appear identical)

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:50 pm

roba85 wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to say, there is a terminator attached to the CD drive (does it matter which port it is attached to? The two on the back appear identical)

It would not matter which port the terminator is attached to.

You have about exhausted any advice I can offer.

There a just a couple things left I can think of. If you can run the pointer completely off the screen so it is no longer visible (not even a speck) then it is possible the machine believes an external monitor is attached and is booting on that monitor. You could also plug in and extenal monior to see if that is the case.

You might also very carefully examine the pins on the connector, both on the dock and the Duo looking for any that might be bent or corroded. I you have a Duo floppy drive, you can try booting off that and if the SCSI CD ROM is Apple branded, you can try booting from that as well.

Although I have never been sure that zapping the pram (command option p r at startup) is the cureall it is said to be that might be worth a shot too assuming you have not already tried it. You can also reset the Power Manager on a Duo by pressing the power button by the keyboard at the same time pressing the reset button on the back.

bill

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:09 am

Many thanks again for your advice Bill. Sadly I've still drawn a blank. The pointer doesn't go off the screen and I don't have an Apple monitor to test the monitor out with. I've a Duo floppy drive which works fine with the floppy adaptor but when plugged in to the Ultradock the machine doesn't seem to get as far as trying to read from it. It seems the same happens with the CD-ROM drive. I tried zapping the PRAM and the power management unit, but to no effect.

Looks like the dock is defective - particularly annoying as I had it shipped from America! - so I suppose I'll have to look for another solution. I don't really have room for a fully fledged dock, so am I right in thinking that the Ultradock is pretty much the only compact way of getting an ethernet port?

Thanks for your time,

Rob

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.