Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook Duo and Newer Ultradock (Page 3 of 4)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Thanks Bill, that's great to know: if I can get the OS and office software on to the Duo that way, I think I'll be able to live with using the floppy drive for documents and so on!

The only other thing that has occurred to me is that the Duo has a built-in modem. I've successfully connected to the internet with it, but it is painfully slow (14.4 kbps I think) and as local calls are not free in the UK, downloading software updates and so on from the internet is not economical. Can a modem be used to form a direct connection to another computer? My only other Mac at the moment is an iBook G4.

Thanks once more for your help so far, and season's greetings,

Rob

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:23 pm

roba85 wrote:

Thanks Bill, that's great to know: if I can get the OS and office software on to the Duo that way, I think I'll be able to live with using the floppy drive for documents and so on!

What office software are you using?

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:04 pm

I've got a copy of Office 98, which I think the 2300c might struggle with slightly, but I'm hoping Wordperfect will run more smoothly for general word processing.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm confused now, are you transferring files to or from the 520c?

If it's to, you're going to have the problem of not being able to run PowerPC software.

If it's from, you're going to want to get PowerPC software to run on your Duo instead of the 68k software that will be on the 520c.

PowerPC and 68k are different! I'm not sure if you understand the caution that I'm raising.

Duo 2300c = PowerPC
PB 520c = 68k

The Duo 2300c will handle Offic 98, AppleWorks 5, and WordPerfect fine.

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Sorry, I don't think I've explained this very clearly! This is basically the situation:

My main computer is an iBook G4. I also have access to a PC. I've got hold of a PowerBook Duo 2300c with floppy adaptor and drive, which I was hoping to use as a small and lightweight laptop. I ordered an Ultradock from eBay, but it seems to be faulty (the Duo won't boot when it is attached).

I'm therefore rather stuck, because I don't have any other Macs with old-style serial ports and so on, and so have no way of getting software onto the Duo apart from floppy disks - which is a bit tedious, and I can't see an easy way of getting Office 98 or Mac OS 7.6.1 onto it without some form of mass storage, be it ethernet or CD-ROM drive.

I've managed to get hold of a SCSI CD-ROM drive (originally for the Ultradock, but I can't get that to work.) I've been looking around on eBay and discovered that it would actually be cheaper (at least in the UK, where Duo stuff seems to be pretty thin on the ground) to buy an older Powerbook with all the ports (i.e. the 520c) and sort of use it as a conduit for software from either my iBook (via ethernet) or the CD-ROM drive, to the Duo 2300c, via a Localtalk cable. I've read it's rather slow, but as I only need to install these things once (hopefully!) I'm not too worried about that - it can't be as bad as making sets of 19 floppy disks!

It sounds a bit of an odd plan, but I think it will be actually cheaper (and I'll end up with another mac to play with.) This 520c was going for 15, whereas I haven't found Duo docks for less than twice that over here. The 2300c is the focus of this project (where I hope to install Office 98, WP and 7.6.1), and the 520c is a means to an end really.

Sorry for the confusion - and this rather long post! Thanks for your help! Rob

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:42 pm

What about a zip or jaz scsi drive? Usb versions are availible too. I've found this to be an easy way to transfer just about anything. If I understand the post right that is.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.