Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook Duo and Newer Ultradock (Page 2 of 4)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:58 am

roba85 wrote:

. . .
Looks like the dock is defective - particularly annoying as I had it shipped from America! - so I suppose I'll have to look for another solution. I don't really have room for a fully fledged dock, so am I right in thinking that the Ultradock is pretty much the only compact way of getting an ethernet port?

Thanks for your time,

Rob

Sorry to hear that the Ultra Dock can not be made to work. If you know someone with a Duo, it might be worth checking the Dock on that Duo simple to insure the trouble is with the dock and not with port on the Duo.

Newer was not the only company that made Ethernet Docks for the Duo. I beleive that DayStar made one as well and Newer did make Docks with Ethenet besides the Ultra dock. But all of them are rare.

Ethernet connections were made using the SCSI port as well. Asanté made one as did several others. You would need to have a Dock that provides a SCSI port to use them. LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge routers/switches were also made. They are somewhat rare, fairly expensive, and are no faster than a LocalTalk connection, but they do get a localtalk only machine on an ethernet network.

bill

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Thanks for all your help in this Bill. Rather perversely, it seems that the most economic solution to this for me is to buy another Powerbook! I've won a 520c on EBay which has built in Ethernet and SCSI and I'm hoping to use LocalTalk to copy files and software to it. Bizarrely, this has turned out to be the cheapest solution!

Best wishes,

Rob

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:31 pm

The 520c is quite a bit slower than the 2300c. The 520c is also a 68k, whereas the 2300c is a PowerPC, so with two entirely different processors, software from the 2300c is less likely to work on the 520c.

roba85 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Would it still run 7.6 though?

I know it's a rather strange way of doing things, but I could use it as a way of getting software from a network to the PowerBook Duo by localtalk, couldn't I? If the 520c is connected to Ethernet (or a SCSI CD drive for that matter) and the Duo connected to it via localtalk...

I hope I've understood this correctly!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Yes, it will run 7.6.1, but it will not (for example) run Internet Explorer 5, Microsoft Office 98, Netscape 4.8, QuickTime 5, RealBasic, iView, Premiere, Photoshop 5.5, Illustrator 8, Dreamweaver, Flash Player, Opera, etc... Those require a PowerPC processor. So if you already have a PowerPC processor, and you're buying a 68k computer, then anything that you already have which requires a PowerPC processor will not run on the 520c.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:31 pm

roba85 wrote:

Would it still run 7.6 though?

I know it's a rather strange way of doing things, but I could use it as a way of getting software from a network to the PowerBook Duo by localtalk, couldn't I? If the 520c is connected to Ethernet (or a SCSI CD drive for that matter) and the Duo connected to it via localtalk...

I hope I've understood this correctly!

Yes you can download files from the internet on another Mac and transfer them to the Duo 2300 via localtalk using the serial port on the Duo.

You can install software directly on the Duo 2300 via localtalk from any shared file. A CD connected via the SCSI port can also be shared. I installed 7.6.1 on my Duo 280 over my network. The 7.6.1 installer CD was located in the CD ROM in my 8600 and showed up on the Duo desktop and was launched from there.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.