Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: seek for advice on quadra 950 ADB failure. (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:02 am

I just buy a quadra 950 (no CD drive, no hard disk, only floppy disk drive). I temporarily "borrow" a CD ROM drive and keyboard, ZIP100 drive from my PPC 9600 to plug into the Quadra. I insert the OS 7.6.1 CD, it boots and also see the ZIP drive icon but the mouse cursor freezed on the top left hand corner. So, I think the keyboard port (ADB) is not working. Anyone can advise me if I can use other modem or printer port or SCSI to connect the keyboard ? Or any other way to make Quadra work with keyboard ? thanks a lot.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:00 pm

cr2032 wrote:

I just buy a quadra 950 (no CD drive, no hard disk, only floppy disk drive). I temporarily "borrow" a CD ROM drive and keyboard, ZIP100 drive from my PPC 9600 to plug into the Quadra. I insert the OS 7.6.1 CD, it boots and also see the ZIP drive icon but the mouse cursor freezed on the top left hand corner. So, I think the keyboard port (ADB) is not working. Anyone can advise me if I can use other modem or printer port or SCSI to connect the keyboard ? Or any other way to make Quadra work with keyboard ? thanks a lot.

Thanks for join the System7Today forums and welcome. You should find useful and helpful advice on these forums.

The Quadra 950 has two ADB ports. So you can plug in the keyboard and mouse in several ways. You should of course make sure that you only plug and unplug ADB devices when the computer is turned off. You do not mention in the note that you had a mouse plugged in, but I assume that you did have one either plugged into the Quadra 950 itself or plugged into the keyboard.

While the mouse may be frozen, it may be possible that the keyboard board is working. You can try pressing command option and the power key to force the computer to restart.

More often a freeze at startup is a problem with the system software or configuration than it is with the ports on the machine. Make sure that the CD you are starting from will work with the Quadra 950 and is not specific to another machine such as the 9600 which you mention having.

OS 7.6.1 install CDs have a disk image folder on them, which contain images for startup floppies. There are two images I believe one for machines with 680x0 processors which could be used on the Quadra 950 and another for PPC machines which would work as a startup floppy for your 9600.

bill

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 pm

thanks Bill of your fast response!

I see only 1 ADB though there are 2 serial standard ports. (I also check with the spec on web that it comes with 1 ADB.)

I tried both (1) the mouse plug in the key board and (2) plug the mouse directly on the ADB (without keyboard). This is for sure all done before turning on. The mouse cursor does not move. (actually, I missed mentioned that the keyboard also can not be typing anything.)

That's why I guess the ADB is defective.

And I will try to make the image file of the floppy for 680x0 and see if I can get the keyboard work per your advice.

thanks very much.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Can you start your system using the keyboard power-on? If so, then the ADB is just fine.

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:49 am

I can not use key board power on. I use the same keyboard + mouse perfect in the 9600 and Classic II. (including key board power on). So, I guess the Quadra ADB port is just not work Sad

I also try to search from the OS761 CD and can not find the floppy image suggested by Bill. Could you pls let me know which folder it is located in the CD ?

sorry about my poor searching skill Smile

thanks a lot.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:42 am

cr2032 wrote:

I can not use key board power on. I use the same keyboard + mouse perfect in the 9600 and Classic II. (including key board power on). So, I guess the Quadra ADB port is just not work Sad

I also try to search from the OS761 CD and can not find the floppy image suggested by Bill. Could you pls let me know which folder it is located in the CD ?

sorry about my poor searching skill Smile

thanks a lot.

If the keyboard poweron does not work, that would indicate that either the keyboard, cable, or ADB port is bad. Since the keyboard and mouse work fine on your 9600 that points to ADB problems on the Quadra.

I was incorrect about the floppy images on the 7.6.1 CD and I apologize for the inconvience that mis information caused. OS 7.6 did ship with an emergency start up floppy disk. Apple did make a System 7.5 Network Access Disk which will anything that will run System 7.5 and provides the benefit of supporting networking. It can be obtain from here:

http://download.info.apple.com.....Utilities/

Going backup to http://download.info.apple.com.....re_Updates this level will allow you to browse for files in a different language.

bill

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.