Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Internet/LAN connection? (Page 1 of 1)
  jmarran14221 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:13 pm

Happy Holidays, my friends! Successfully added 7.5 to my 7100, and I LOVE it. Love the speed!!! My next dilemma is....is there anyway to connect to my DSL/LAN without one of those AAUI-15 adapters? My 8500 has the built-in Ethernet jack...can they be linked with the serial ports, and the connection shared off of it?

THANKS guys!

John

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:53 pm

jmarran14221 wrote:

Happy Holidays, my friends! Successfully added 7.5 to my 7100, and I LOVE it. Love the speed!!! My next dilemma is....is there anyway to connect to my DSL/LAN without one of those AAUI-15 adapters? My 8500 has the built-in Ethernet jack...can they be linked with the serial ports, and the connection shared off of it?

THANKS guys!

John

You really do need a transciever/adaptor to do what you are looking to do. The serial port is a LocalTalk connection, which only understands AppleTalk. To share the internet you to be speaking TCP/IP.

I believe that IPNetRouter software from "Sustainable Software" offers a software translation package, but it is commercial application. Most of Sustainable Software's applications have a demo period which would allow you to try it out and perhaps the demo would last long enough for you to purchase an adaptor. The adaptor for the AAUI port will be a cheaper and faster solution.

Of course you might want to consider upgrading to OS 7.6.1 which will give you options and a better experience on the internet.

bill

Old Mac Geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:46 am

Are you sure you are reading the original posters question correctly?? The port on the second generation Powermacs is not LocalTalk like on the 68k machines or AAUI like on the first generation Powermacs. It is a standard 10BaseT Ethernet port. Should that not be able to connect to any standard Ethernet router using an RJ-45 cable??

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:44 pm

Old Mac Geezer wrote:

Are you sure you are reading the original posters question correctly?? The port on the second generation Powermacs is not LocalTalk like on the 68k machines or AAUI like on the first generation Powermacs. It is a standard 10BaseT Ethernet port. Should that not be able to connect to any standard Ethernet router using an RJ-45 cable??

The networking options on a stock 7100 include LocalTalk using the serial port, or using the AAUI port. A transceiver/adaptor allows one to connect an AAUI port to an Ethernet network.

Internet connections are done with TCP/IP networking protocols and Apple does not provide software to allow for TCP/IP over LocalTalk. Apple does provide bridge software that allows LocalTalk networks to be connected to Ethernet networks. The bridge software only allows AppleTalk to communicate with EtherTalk and does not allow for TCP/IP communication.

The simplest method to connect a 7100 and an 8500 togethor is using a serial cable between their serial ports. It would allow file and printer sharing. It is slow, but the big advantage is that it can be done using a single serial cable.

Using a transceiver on the AAUI port of the 7100 allows it to connect to an Ethernet network and Apple does provide networking software for TCP/IP communication over Ethernet. That connection is much faster than a LocalTalk connection. However it requires the use of a transceiver, Ethernet cables and a hub to make a working connection.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.