Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Wireless w/o a router? (Page 1 of 1)
  Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm afraid this may be an OSX question moreso than a System 7 one, but I'll give it a shot, and if I don't get the answer here, I'll go in search of an OSX forum, but it is for purposes of linking up my PB 1400, so I thought this was a good starting place. I thought you could use your OSX machine to broadcast its internet connection for sharing purposes, no router required as long as your other machine was turned on and awake, but I'm not sure if I have my facts straight and wondered if anyone has tried this. I expect I can pick up the wireless card cheaper than I can the router, and I thought that would give me an idea if I'm actually tech savvy enough to make the network a feasible plan. Plus, with the holidays upon us, I can more easily afford the wireless card, I imagine, and get something up and running while I recover from Christmas enough to spring for the router. I'm on 7.5.3 at the moment (but looking for a copy of 7.6) and 10.4 on the iMac. If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. And if not, I'll go seek help in the Apple forums.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:15 pm

Mr_E wrote:

I'm afraid this may be an OSX question moreso than a System 7 one, but I'll give it a shot, and if I don't get the answer here, I'll go in search of an OSX forum, but it is for purposes of linking up my PB 1400, so I thought this was a good starting place. I thought you could use your OSX machine to broadcast its internet connection for sharing purposes, no router required as long as your other machine was turned on and awake, but I'm not sure if I have my facts straight and wondered if anyone has tried this. I expect I can pick up the wireless card cheaper than I can the router, and I thought that would give me an idea if I'm actually tech savvy enough to make the network a feasible plan. Plus, with the holidays upon us, I can more easily afford the wireless card, I imagine, and get something up and running while I recover from Christmas enough to spring for the router. I'm on 7.5.3 at the moment (but looking for a copy of 7.6) and 10.4 on the iMac. If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. And if not, I'll go seek help in the Apple forums.

You can find he options to setup a computer to computer wireless network in OS X 10.4 in the Internet Connect application. This can also be done in the Network Preferences Pane. The settings needed to share the internet wirelessly are located in the Sharing Preference Panel in OS X.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:29 pm

A helpful tip: its always good to check the main site. Wink Welcome to System 7 Today.

Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. I actually had read the tutorial, but, before reading Bill's tip, I had been interpretting "AirPort" in the tutorials as a reference to the AirPort Base Station, meaning that I would be configuring the router, not the computer. Bill's info with a reread of the tutorial reminded me that "AirPort" is Apple's generic name for their version of wireless hardware. Also I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not the latest OS supports Internet sharing without a seperate router, so I wanted to confirm that people were successfully using a router-free set up (or rather, I guess, using the iMac as a router). But from your responses I gather that router-free internet sharing is still supported in the current OS and that people are Networking their older machines without a seperate router, so thanks for all your help.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.