Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: File transfer strategies (Page 1 of 1)
  Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:59 pm

My end goal is to have a wireless network to connect my PB 1400, iMac, and currently dormant PC to each other and the outside world, but to get there, I'm first going to have find a way to get files, like the System 7.6 upgrade, into the 1400, which only has a floppy drive, something my iMac lacks. I've been having mixed success with a Compact Flash card out of my camera which I connect to my iMac via the printer and to my 1400 via a PCMCIA card adapter. But files retrieved by the iMac from the Powerbook are often not recognized, and I have also had no success trying to use the flash card to transfer games from http://dont.post.warez.sites/ to the Powebook after having downloaded them on the iMac. I eventually got the files to show up by unstuffing them on the iMac, then zipping them, then unzipping them on the Powerbook, but once I got the files to the Powerbook, it still doesn't see them as executable programs. Does anyone know specifically what stumbling blocks I am tripping over and, better yet, how to overcome them? Solving this will be pivotal to my being able to eventually network this machine. Not to mention eventually being able to play Lemmings.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Mr_E wrote:

My end goal is to have a wireless network to connect my PB 1400, iMac, and currently dormant PC to each other and the outside world, but to get there, I'm first going to have find a way to get files, like the System 7.6 upgrade, into the 1400, which only has a floppy drive, something my iMac lacks. I've been having mixed success with a Compact Flash card out of my camera which I connect to my iMac via the printer and to my 1400 via a PCMCIA card adapter. But files retrieved by the iMac from the Powerbook are often not recognized, and I have also had no success trying to use the flash card to transfer games from http://dont.post.warez.sites/ to the Powebook after having downloaded them on the iMac. I eventually got the files to show up by unstuffing them on the iMac, then zipping them, then unzipping them on the Powerbook, but once I got the files to the Powerbook, it still doesn't see them as executable programs. Does anyone know specifically what stumbling blocks I am tripping over and, better yet, how to overcome them? Solving this will be pivotal to my being able to eventually network this machine. Not to mention eventually being able to play Lemmings.

Compact Flash cards are in a Fat (16?-32?) format. Your best bet is to try and transfer the files as Stuffit archive files and do the extraction on the 1400. Stuffit files transfered this way may not show up as proper stuffit files, but you should be able to open them from within Stuffit Expander.

Until you can get wireless up and running, it might be easiest to look for a PCMCIA 10t ethernet card and connect to the iMac via a crossover cable.

bill

Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:22 pm

wove wrote:

Compact Flash cards are in a Fat (16?-32?) format. Your best bet is to try and transfer the files as Stuffit archive files and do the extraction on the 1400. Stuffit files transfered this way may not show up as proper stuffit files, but you should be able to open them from within Stuffit Expander.

Thanks for the reply. I tried bringing it over as SIT files, but Stuffit would not open them. I also tried reformatting the CF card a variety of ways, finally formatting them on the Powerbook, but I still had situations where the files put on the card from the iMac didn't show up when veiwing the card's contents on the Powerbook. And I don't know why the SIT files would expand on the iMac but not the Powerbook, unless I need to update my version of Stuffit, which will put me in a bit of a catch-22 until I figure the rest of this out. But the Ethernet card is a good idea, and I may just need to look into that. Thanks.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Mr_E wrote:

......, unless I need to update my version of Stuffit, which will put me in a bit of a catch-22 until I figure the rest of this out. .......

The version of Stuffit Expander available on the Important Updates portion of the System7Today site is the latest available for System 7.6.1. You should be able to transfer via a CF card.

bill

Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 am

It worked!!! Thank you. Transferring via the CF card is still a little tricky. Some files show up fine and some don't, but after a few attempts, the Stuffit file did transfer over. I've done my first software upgrade in five years (about the time my modem became non-functional). I still can't open those other files due to some disk error, but at least Stuffit now recognizes that it's supposed to open .SIT files, so thanks again.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.