Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Infrared? (Page 1 of 1)
  Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:51 pm

I was selling Macs at my college bookstore when they started making Powebooks with IR ports. I remember the big deal was that you could get a (serial?) IR unit for you desktop, drop the PB in front of it, and sync files. Well I don't know if my PB 1400 came with IR built in because I never had a corresponding machine to use it with, but is this still a viable form of networking/file syncing? Or does the IR port have any other potential functions? I plan on getting a wireless card, so syncing/networking via the IR port seems pretty useless, but I was curious if anyone still uses this aspect of the Powerbooks.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:59 pm

I've tinkered with ir on my 1400's but the wifi is so much faster that I doubt I'll ever bother with a serial or ir again. The other day I was using my g3 1400 as a mp3 server for my 133 and 166 1400's wirelessly and had no problems. One of those what to do with 2 feet of snow and can't get out of the house projects. Give the ir a try. it's interesting to see how fast new technology. It was fast in the day.

Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm sure I will tinker with IR, if I ever find myself with two IR capable devices at the same time, just to see what it's like. WiFi certainly seems easier, though. I was just trying to figure if IR might have quicker transfer or some other application, but I guess it's more of a curiosity in this day and age. I wonder is it hackable to broadcast IR remote signals? Probably not given that, if I remember correctly, the range was only a foot or two. But if it would work, that'd add some function to the IR port: A big, clunky remote control. But at least it wouldn't get lost in the sofa.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:22 am

Mr_E wrote:

I was selling Macs at my college bookstore when they started making Powebooks with IR ports. I remember the big deal was that you could get a (serial?) IR unit for you desktop, drop the PB in front of it, and sync files. Well I don't know if my PB 1400 came with IR built in because I never had a corresponding machine to use it with, but is this still a viable form of networking/file syncing? Or does the IR port have any other potential functions? I plan on getting a wireless card, so syncing/networking via the IR port seems pretty useless, but I was curious if anyone still uses this aspect of the Powerbooks.

Does the 1400 IR port use IRTalk or IRDA? I had a 5300 at one point and I know all its IR port did was IRTalk. At one point I enabled IRTalk on a 3400 to communicate with the 5300 and from do a system install.

The 3400 can sync with a Palm device over IR, but a 5300 can not. Apple's Newton also had an IR port but for some reason Apple never enabled it so it could talk with IR port equipted Macs.

The 6500 and other machines had an IR port, however it was only for use by Apple's remote control. The first generation iMac did have a functional IR Port that did IRDA.

bill

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:13 am

The 1400 is IRTAlk, which was never very useful. I think you could pretty much just network 2 IRTalk machines and use to print to some HP printers that could speak the language, and not much else.

Irda was a bit more useful. I actually used the Irda on my 1st gen. iMac to sync with my Palm back in the day. But still, not much more than something to tinker with when stuck inside.

Note from Apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/art.....tnum=20928

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.