Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Sources of RAM (Page 1 of 1)
  Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 pm

My Powerbook 1400cs has 12 MB of RAM according to my System Profiler or Memory Manager, or whatever I was looking at. Looking at the Specs, I'm assuming that's a 12MB chip soldered on, yes? Meaning that I can piggyback two more chips into this thing. What increments can I get RAM in for this? I seem to remember 8 and 16 (and maybe 4?), and I'm sure there has to be higher increments, but with a 64MB ceiling, I'm guessing they must max out in the 20's?

What do you all use as source of RAM. Are there still on-line vendors for this, or does it show up on ebay, or do you just buy old systems on ebay to cannibalize?

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Do an internet search for vendors. I get mine off of ebay. Sometimes it may be cheaper to buy a 1400 with a broken screen than just the memory by itself. Most 1400's came with 12 or 16 then expandable to 64. 24 is the biggest sold by itself and 2 stacked together to max it out.

Mr_E (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks for the tip. The first chip is soldered to the board, right? So my computer, with the 12 MB chip, is really only expandable to 60MB, or is that 12 replaceable with a 16?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.