Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Power Macintosh 7100/66 AV Keyboard problem (Page 1 of 1)
  Yenman23 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm in a hurry so I'm going to apoligize in advance if this is somewhat incoherent.

A friend recently recieved a Power Macintosh 7100/66 AV computer running System 7.5.3 with loads of software from the last user already installed and an inactive keyboard. When I started the computer up it requested that I "Please Insert Disk Keyboard Installer" as the floppy was already in I went ahead and ran the installer. When it opened up the installer claimed that there was already newer software installed and would not allow me to install it. Not bieng able to stay long I'm unsure what ver. the floppy is or what ver. the installed software is.

If you guys think it would resolve the problem I can go ahead and reinstall 7.5.3 from Apple's website and then use the installer on the floppy to get the keyboard working.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:11 pm

Yenman23 wrote:

I'm in a hurry so I'm going to apoligize in advance if this is somewhat incoherent.

A friend recently recieved a Power Macintosh 7100/66 AV computer running System 7.5.3 with loads of software from the last user already installed and an inactive keyboard. When I started the computer up it requested that I "Please Insert Disk Keyboard Installer" as the floppy was already in I went ahead and ran the installer. When it opened up the installer claimed that there was already newer software installed and would not allow me to install it. Not bieng able to stay long I'm unsure what ver. the floppy is or what ver. the installed software is.

If you guys think it would resolve the problem I can go ahead and reinstall 7.5.3 from Apple's website and then use the installer on the floppy to get the keyboard working.

It is rare that a Mac has trouble with a keyboard drivers, infact I am unaware of there being keyboard driver installers for the Mac, but there have been many 3rd party keyboards over the years.

You can reinstall 7.5.3 from Apple. Make sure you do the install that preserves the old system, for there may be needed Extensions and Control Panels for the software already installed on the 7100.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:01 pm

Apple Keyboards do not need drivers. I assume you are not using an Apple keyboard? What do you mean by "inactive" keyboard?

Yenman23 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:23 am

By inactive I mean it won't work at all

I went back and I think the floppy said it was an adaptor keyboard or something similar(I'm sorry I can't remember, its like 2:30 AM), I checked the keyboard itself and it definatly seems to be an Apple keyboard, it looks like the counterpart to the monitor on the front of System 7 Today

wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:05 am

If it is an Apple Keyboard, then the drivers for it are in the ROM and System file and no other drivers are needed.

Does the computer start from the keyboard power button? Does the computer boot up? If the computer starts by pushing the power button on the keyboard, it would indicated that the ADB port, cable and at least portions of the keyboard are working.

If the computer boots up to some point then freezes, the indication is an extension conflick. You can restart the computer while holding down the shift key which will turn all the extensions off.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.