Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Bad Mac IIfx. (Page 1 of 1)
  neoxide (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:50 pm

I was playing with a Mac IIfx recently and I found it impossible to get it to power up. I assume it's the power supply, but I couldn't see anything amis when I looked in there. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:41 am

Does it do anything when you try it? If nothing happens at all, it could point to the power supply. If the machine has set for a long time, it is often useful to clean them out. Remove and reset all the components and connectors. The battery is probably dead and should be check for leakage.

Sometimes if it does not start on the first try, it is worthwhile to leave it set plugged in for several hours and try it again.

bill

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:40 am

I tore my PS apart and resoldered all of the capacitors and ICs and it works now. I also modded a nice power supply from a PC to work inside of my Starmax 4000 too.

capt_sober (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 pm

neoxide wrote:

I was playing with a Mac IIfx recently and I found it impossible to get it to power up. I assume it's the power supply, but I couldn't see anything amis when I looked in there. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I know someone who got ahold of a IIfx that had the same issue. The IIfx was unique in that I think it had 2 PRAM batteries (although I'm sure only one powers the PRAM, the other has something to do with startup). After he replaced both batteries, the system powered up.

tiv (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:48 am

capt_sober wrote:

[quote="neoxide"
I know someone who got ahold of a IIfx that had the same issue. The IIfx was unique in that I think it had 2 PRAM batteries (although I'm sure only one powers the PRAM, the other has something to do with startup). After he replaced both batteries, the system powered up.

Had the same, new PRAM batteries and it started. Had endless problems with the SCSI though. Even with the special black terminator it was difficult to attach a CD-ROM. At the finish i tried every drive I had and settled on one the CD-ROM would play with.

Old Mac Geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 am

http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh/

This mentions the no start issue when the PRAM battery goes bad.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.