Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Mac up again! (Page 1 of 1)
  bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:39 pm

My performa is up and running again! Performa 6116CD, G3 500Mhz Sonnet card, 140MB ram, 18GB Barracuda Drive and OS 8.6 and 7.6.1.

I also have a touchscreen and drivers for mac, but I have to design a custom cable to work with it. I have a DB25 to DIN9 cable for reference, but I'm not sure how the touchscreen intrefaces with the Mac. It *does* have mac drivers, so I'm sure it'll work. But I dont think its ADB compatable.

it's really fast, and reliable. And the Barracuda screams Smile

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:09 am

bd1308 wrote:

I also have a touchscreen and drivers for mac, but I have to design a custom cable to work with it. I have a DB25 to DIN9 cable for reference, but I'm not sure how the touchscreen intrefaces with the Mac. It *does* have mac drivers, so I'm sure it'll work. But I dont think its ADB compatable.

it's really fast, and reliable. And the Barracuda screams Smile

The Mac I use at work, and older G3 iMac has a touch screen that is connected via USB. People seemed to like to mess with it, so I just turned it off by unplugging it. Your older touch screen could well be a serial device.

Ports and Pinouts an Apple knowledge base pdf provides the specs on all the Apple Ports and may prove useful in making a new cable for your touch screen. I had a link posted, but then noticed it was a broken link. If that information would prove useful you can contact me using my profile.
bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:18 pm

So you would plug the display into both the video-out port and the Serial port?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

So you would plug the display into both the video-out port and the Serial port?

I am not sure of the exact mechinisms involved, but the concepts involved are similar to Theremins. Your finger touching the screen changes the capacitance relative to a couple reference points and the hardware is able to compute an X Y coordinate which is then fed back to the system using ADB, USB, or serial and the pointer responds.

They involve attachments to the CRT, but do not involve the video signals. In typical Mac fashion using a touch screen does not preclude using another input device. You can make "gross" selections via touch and go to a mouse for finer detail work.

In practice your screen gets dirty very quickly, and it is difficult to precisely select times. You can select an icon with little trouble, but it is hard to say position a text cursor. Most commonly they are found in Kiosk uses.

bill

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah, there's a serial cable that connects to presumably the ADB port. 9-pin serial connection out of the back of the screen, I'll have to contact the manufacturer of the touch screen and see what Macintosh interface is required for connecting to the montior. It originally hooked up to a PC, but there are mac drivers available.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.