Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7200 ram upgrade (Page 1 of 1)
  soybean pete (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:22 pm

can I just throw any 168 pinn dimm into my 7200? I've got several 64MB sticks and a few 128s from various old PCs that I'm not using so I was wondering any special rules about upgrading the ram in this thing?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 pm

The PM7200 uses 168 pin FPM DIMMs. Some PMs used EDO DIMMs, some used 3.3volt DIMMs. Some I think were compatible with several types as long they were not mixed.

You can check with various sites that sell RAM to get the exact specs on what is required.

bill

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:18 pm

soybean pete wrote:

can I just throw any 168 pinn dimm into my 7200? I've got several 64MB sticks and a few 128s from various old PCs that I'm not using so I was wondering any special rules about upgrading the ram in this thing?

I wish. I would love to get some serious RAM in my 7200/90, but I'm stuck with 4 16MB SIMMs that I had laying around. The 7200 requires 5 volt FPM memory and will not work with EDO. It's one of the few DIMM using PowerMacs that had really stringent memory requirements.

Old Mac Geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:11 pm

You really don't want to use mismatched memory. Not that it won't work, but the best case scenario for a 7200 like yours is to use matched pairs of memory sticks. Memory access gets a whole lot faster using matched pairs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.